Saved by a steering wheel

/ Saved by a steering wheel #31  
Learning a lot here thanks

/ Saved by a steering wheel #32  
Hope you know what you did wrong, and how not to do it another time. If you don't know, ask for some advice.

/ Saved by a steering wheel #33  
Looking at the photo, you'd obviously sawed on it some. Can I ask why you stopped cutting, and where you were trying to push it to from the canopy end? Casual observation tells me you were just trying to break the top out and push it back to the edge of the brush. While much quicker, I think you just found out that not cutting it before pushing on it was definitely not the safest sequence. Just because you think you can move something with the tractor doesn't mean you SHOULD move it without making more manageable pieces.

Rule of thumb that I learned as a kid driving a Cub Farmall: if the piece you are pushing or pulling sideways is more than twice the width of the tractor, and you're not EXACTLY centered, you're flirting with disaster. I balanced that Cub on the two left wheels more than once doing silly things. I know it's a bit of a bother, and will take a little longer, but it's a whole lot safer to move smaller pieces. If the root ball is still attached to that trunk, be extremely careful that the last cut doesn't change the balance and let the trunk stand back up. There's nothing like hearing that "WHOOSH" when a 24 inch tree trunk goes past you. The first cut should have been near the stump. Unless a tree is laying completely on the ground and already detached from the stump, it simply isn't safe to start cutting the top or trying to move it. Big end first, where most of the mass is, and separate it from it's counterweight (root ball).

Glad you dodged the bullet there, or the club as the case may be. This would be one case where a ROPS isn't going to help unless it's a full roll cage like a race car. But that would likely have been on something a little more suited for timber management. Hope your laundry bill wasn't too high, cause that repair ain't gonna be cheap.

Be careful out there, folks. This looks like another case where a grapple might have made the operator a little overconfident about moving/demolishing things with a loader on a mid-size tractor. It's too easy to make a life altering, if not ending, mistake with a tractor. Pulling is ALWAYS better, and synthetic ropes decelerate a lot better than chains or cables. ALWAYS make sure appropriate safety equipment and guards are in place and functional and be ready for the unexpected. Then, it isn't unexpected.

Most accidents are avoidable. A bit more work with a chainsaw would have probably prevented that incident. If you are working against the clock, plan on another day to make sure you don't take shortcuts and get hurt. Hurrying any tree or tractor work is a recipe for sad singing and slow walking. That tree's obviously been on the ground for a while (bark slipping off) so another day or two wouldn't have hurt a thing.

I'm not criticizing anyone's techniques, just giving some free advice. Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it and how you use it.

/ Saved by a steering wheel #34  
I was pushing a downed tree away from a field edge last year and managed to run a branch into the back of the fan and radiator. $$ adds up fast! So far, I haven't managed to injure myself on the tractor...full cab probably helps with that, though.

/ Saved by a steering wheel #35  
Sometimes just being in proximity is enough with zero tree work…

Once walking with friends a large dead tree decides it’s time to fall… no wind, no earthquake.

Another time with the CAT Dozer going down a path at least 30 feet from a mature Bay Tree and kaboom!

Maybe vibration or the unusual wet week but it toppled from high bank and hit the doze right over my seat with so many green branches all I could see was leaves.

It’s the day my Dozer saved my life… The ROPS is plate steel…

Would not be here had I only been protected my a TLB roll bar…

/ Saved by a steering wheel
Looking at the photo, you'd obviously sawed on it some. Can I ask why you stopped cutting, and where you were trying to push it to from the canopy end? Casual observation tells me you were just trying to break the top out and push it back to the edge of the brush. While much quicker, I think you just found out that not cutting it before pushing on it was definitely not the safest sequence. Just because you think you can move something with the tractor doesn't mean you SHOULD move it without making more manageable pieces.

Rule of thumb that I learned as a kid driving a Cub Farmall: if the piece you are pushing or pulling sideways is more than twice the width of the tractor, and you're not EXACTLY centered, you're flirting with disaster. I balanced that Cub on the two left wheels more than once doing silly things. I know it's a bit of a bother, and will take a little longer, but it's a whole lot safer to move smaller pieces. If the root ball is still attached to that trunk, be extremely careful that the last cut doesn't change the balance and let the trunk stand back up. There's nothing like hearing that "WHOOSH" when a 24 inch tree trunk goes past you. The first cut should have been near the stump. Unless a tree is laying completely on the ground and already detached from the stump, it simply isn't safe to start cutting the top or trying to move it. Big end first, where most of the mass is, and separate it from it's counterweight (root ball).

Glad you dodged the bullet there, or the club as the case may be. This would be one case where a ROPS isn't going to help unless it's a full roll cage like a race car. But that would likely have been on something a little more suited for timber management. Hope your laundry bill wasn't too high, cause that repair ain't gonna be cheap.

Be careful out there, folks. This looks like another case where a grapple might have made the operator a little overconfident about moving/demolishing things with a loader on a mid-size tractor. It's too easy to make a life altering, if not ending, mistake with a tractor. Pulling is ALWAYS better, and synthetic ropes decelerate a lot better than chains or cables. ALWAYS make sure appropriate safety equipment and guards are in place and functional and be ready for the unexpected. Then, it isn't unexpected.

Most accidents are avoidable. A bit more work with a chainsaw would have probably prevented that incident. If you are working against the clock, plan on another day to make sure you don't take shortcuts and get hurt. Hurrying any tree or tractor work is a recipe for sad singing and slow walking. That tree's obviously been on the ground for a while (bark slipping off) so another day or two wouldn't have hurt a thing.

I'm not criticizing anyone's techniques, just giving some free advice. Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it and how you use it.
All the chainsaw work was after the tree bounced onto the tractor. The 2 main trunks were attached to the stump and lying horizontally. When I pushed on it I didn't realize how attached they were.
Yes most accidents are preventable. I have many thousand hours of using heavy equipment without injury and will not be pushing any trees without making sure they aren't still connected. I haven't retrieved the tractor yet. Keep my fingers crossed it isn't to damaged.

Andy

/ Saved by a steering wheel #37  
All the chainsaw work was after the tree bounced onto the tractor. The 2 main trunks were attached to the stump and lying horizontally. When I pushed on it I didn't realize how attached they were.
Yes most accidents are preventable. I have many thousand hours of using heavy equipment without injury and will not be pushing any trees without making sure they aren't still connected. I haven't retrieved the tractor yet. Keep my fingers crossed it isn't to damaged.

Andy
Yep, like I said, saw first, move after. Glad you weren't hurt, and hope the repair bill isn't too much, too. You got a very dangerous reminder about how quickly things can go south on a tractor.

Hindsight's 20/20, but I would have waded into that brush heap and tree-top with chainsaw blazing. I've just got a little LX2610SU, so I probably tend to overkill the prep work before I wade in with that. I have a small 8 inch pole saw adapter for my weed eater that lets me reach in before I walk in (just in case Mr. No-Shoulders is hiding in there). That lets me lay a lot of briars, brush and other stuff down so I can evaluate what I gotta do to get a downed tree ready for removal. If it's just small brush up to 1" in diameter in the way, I also have a Swisher 24" Predator walk-behind brush mower that will chop up anything it can push over. Snakes don't stand a chance with that thing. I'm gathering you decided to just push it out of your pasture to let it rot where it fell (except for the pushing part). An hour of saw work might have saved you some money in the long run, depending on the repairs the tractor needs. Definitely would have saved you the scare. Good luck on the repairs.

/ Saved by a steering wheel #38  
Glad you are O.K.!!!

Maybe its time for limb risers on tractors if you are doing tree work.

/ Saved by a steering wheel
Checked out damage to tractor. Bent steering wheel & column, dash and believe it or not bucket level indicator. Sure glad I have KTAC. I'll let you know how it goes.

Andy