Say good bye to the 6x4 Gator

/ Say good bye to the 6x4 Gator #1  

nathan8804

I just went down to the JD Dealer to buy a new 6x4 gator. According to the dealer JD has stopped production of the 6x4 and 4x2,6x4 trail. The dealer just found out this week after trying to order mine. They are still making the regular 4x2 all others are being replaced by the new gator hpx models. There are still many new non-hpx gators in the supply chain. However if you are considering one or a trail act now. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
In my opinion the older non-hpx models are a proven platform.

/ Say good bye to the 6x4 Gator #2  
Doesn't surprise me! It was getting pretty dated when compared to products like the Polaris Rangers and others. The Kubota RTV has really shaken up the category.

OrangeGuy

/ Say good bye to the 6x4 Gator
Polaris do not impress me. I have heard alot of bad things when it comes to their atv's(unreliable). Not sure about their utility however, if anything like their atv I would rather not have one. And the Kubota is a nice machine if you are willing to pay the difference of about 3 thousand dollars vs the 6x4. I just think it's an attempt by deere to have either a very high priced utility or low priced machine with little in between. I can see why they want to leave the 4x2 to compete for the yerf-dog/ low end mule/rhino buyers. And the hp/hpx models to face off with the bobcat/kubota buyers. Now I know cub cadet makes a real nice utility however, for the price of the cub 4x2 new one can buy a 6x4 gator new.

/ Say good bye to the 6x4 Gator #4  
I think that's a big mistake by Deere. For a true UTV for the farm/ranch I have not found anything that I like better than the 6x4, bar none. I'm not saying that the 6x4 is the best thing out there for off-roading, hunting, etc. but if you want a UTV for the farm they are tough to beat. They're low to the ground, almost impossible to roll, easy access to get things in and out, easy in and out for the driver, the most comfortable seats of any UTV in my opinion, they sip fuel like a fine wine, and personally I feel the ride is great. I'm glad we just traded for a new one. They're a better machine than they get credit for.

/ Say good bye to the 6x4 Gator #5  
Richard,

You are so right. The 6X4 is very basic. It doesn't have the strongest engine, it only has front suspension, and you can't go through deep water with, but it still does everything I need. I bought mine last September and it is great. I can pile dirt in the bed until it is rolling over the sides and then I raise the power dump and it doesn't hesitate. I have hauled so much dirt with mine it is unbelievable. If I could change one thin it would be to make the front end heavier so that when I am carrying a load it would have better steering response.