Sergeant York, Gary Cooper

/ Sergeant York, Gary Cooper #11  
Great movie, two points I took from it:
1. How much they portrayed him as anguishing as far as giving the nation's enemies a killing. Contentious Objectors are usually troublemakers in today's volunteer force. They scam us for paid schooling or want to get out of something.
2. At the end he is given a farm by Kentucky or Tennessee (not sure, saw this a long time ago). I wonder what happened to that farm...did he sell it, did his descendants sell, how many acres, has it been chopped up and sold as smaller pieces, etc. I sure would like Ohio to pay off my farm (I always kid my wife, if something happens to me, I will literally "buy the farm" ha ha :)), of course I have not taken a whole battalion of the enemy prisoner, they just blow us up at random at night and smile at us during the day, what a different war.

He was just one of those guys, you can still find them in the Army, not like me, I am a cynic). I like the portrayal, hope it was accurate as to his character. Recommend Lawrence of Arabia with Peter O'Toole, Cross of Iron with James Coburn, or as for this war, The Hurt Locker (it is pretty sensationalized but has some good points).

/ Sergeant York, Gary Cooper #12  
I don't know what happened to that farm, but the following quote was taken from this website so I don't know anything about its authenticity or accuracy.

"The Rotary Club of Nashville in conjunction with other Tennessee clubs wanted to present York with a home and a farm. Unfortunately not enough money was raised and they gave him an unfinished home and saddled him with a healthy mortgage to boot. As late as 1922, the deed remained in the hands of the Nashville Rotary Club."

/ Sergeant York, Gary Cooper
Thanks for the website Bird. I love it!

I did not realize this was all based on a true story. That makes it even better.

I can predict with some certainty that "I'll be a-watchin that thar filum many a-more before I'm done."

/ Sergeant York, Gary Cooper #14  
For the last couple years someone had the D-14 Allis Chalmers that Alvin York bought new in 1957 and was still on the farm around 2002 when it was donated to be restored. Pretty good info on it and his farm, but don't remember the specs. later, Nat

/ Sergeant York, Gary Cooper #15  
I lived on York boulevard when I was in Ft Bragg. Now I have a bit of "bottomland" in PA.

/ Sergeant York, Gary Cooper #17  
Great movie, two points I took from it:
1. How much they portrayed him as anguishing as far as giving the nation's enemies a killing. Contentious Objectors are usually troublemakers in today's volunteer force. They scam us for paid schooling or want to get out of something.

I would say they want to get out of killing people, simple as that. (for the most part) I would guess it would depend on the variables during the enlistment, IE war time/peace time. I would agree that some may join during peace time mainly for the benefits, then war breaks out they claim CO ( contentious objector) and run to Canada.

I knew a WW11 vet when I was a kid, he was a friend of my fathers and went to our church. His name was Desmond T Doss, He was a CO, but instead of not going to war he became a medic. As a marine, he was in the pacific campaign and ended up winning the congressional medal of honor. great story if you want to google him.

Alvin C York, I think came to the same conclusion as many do, It may be the lesser "evil" to participate in an effort to SAVE lives by doing your best effectively to hasten the end result.

Hero is a big word, I think there are allot of heroes, some who never knew it, or were never in the position to exploit it. I think the conditions can arise and the one with the character or the ability to ignore fear and get the job done by overcoming the problem would be your "hero". He/ she would put their welfare behind the welfare of others.

In that thought I would mention Audie Murphy, perfect representative of a hero, when push came to shove, he took care of business.

My FIL is a hero to me. He enlisted at 16 (lied about his age) with the 101st Airborne, fought through Korea, all of Viet Nam. and allot of "small" stuff that doesn't make the news, ended up in the 82nd Airborne as Command Sgt Major at Ft. Bragg. 36 years of service to our country.

Another good movie if ya'll get the chance is "Random Harvest" based on WW1, doesn't have the war theme (fighting) not a factual movie, but a **** of a story line. Also made around the same time as Sgt York late 30's, 1939 I believe. ( 1939 was a heck of a production year).

Sorry for rambling

/ Sergeant York, Gary Cooper #19  
   / Sergeant York, Gary Cooper #20  
Haven't seen it in years. Just asked wifey if she knows where our copy is. Think it is time to watch it again.