Should he buy a BX2200 or the B7500?

/ Should he buy a BX2200 or the B7500? #1  

woodstock

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2200
My neighbour saw and then used my BX2200 the other day. He was extremely impressed as he currently owns a JD 322. Today he shows up telling me he went to the dealer and looked at the B7500 and wants to know why I didn't buy the larger tractor and should he?
All I could tell him was for my application, mainly forest with tight turning requirements and steep river bank I felt the BX was a better choice for me. I told him the B7500 would give him higher ground clearances and larger loader pay load.
Is there anything else he needs to know?
His lot is mainly wide open 3 acre cow pasture with a river bank so steep you'd need to be a mountian goat to go on it.
Money is only a minor concer.

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
freebie-maple-leaf.gif

2001 BX2200 All Kubota FEL, Tiller, box blade, blower w/elec shute, 60 mid mt deck, Ag tires.
Grey market B7000 w/Tiller (120 hrs)
1984 JD 316 after 687 hrs.

/ Should he buy a BX2200 or the B7500? #2  
What's wrong with his Deere?
I went for the B7500 because it's a bit bigger/beefer than the BX. Oneday down the road I may want to get a hoe for the Kubota. My main reason.

/ Should he buy a BX2200 or the B7500?
Because it's not a 4X4 the tiller pushes the baby deere forward instead of busting the clay sod in his yard.
The BX took this same site without a huff or a puff.
As well there is no loader for the deere, which he quickly used on the Bota to spread a 2 yard pile of gravel he had been meaning to spread on his driveway.

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
freebie-maple-leaf.gif

2001 BX2200 All Kubota FEL, Tiller, box blade, blower w/elec shute, 60 mid mt deck, Ag tires.
Grey market B7000 w/Tiller (120 hrs)
1984 JD 316 after 687 hrs.

/ Should he buy a BX2200 or the B7500? #4  
There are a bunch of differences between the B7500 and the BX. Here is a little chart that I made up to compare them statistically (also the B2x10 series).

If all he is going to use it on is a 3 acre place, he will need to examine what uses he will need. If he will be getting a backhoe, go for the B7500 for sure, if not one of the B2x10's. The B7500 has quite a bit more lift capacity than the BX on the FEL, and almost 400# more lift 24" aft of the 3PH.

Engine-wise the B7500 has about 4 more HP RPM vs RPM (e.g. @ 2000 RPM the BX is 14.8 HP, and the B7500 is 18.3).

However, the BX is almost a foot shorter, and 6" closer to the ground (better CG dynamics).

The B7500 can be configured narrower than the BX (42" for B7500 vs 45.1 for the BX). However, the B7500 (I think) can get a bit wider than the BX ("about" 56" at the widest setting).

The B7500 has more hydraulic capacity (7.7 including Power steering vs 5.5 on the BX).

The B7500 can actually turn a tighter radius than the BX (6.6' for the B7500 vs 7.5 for the BX). Note that this is with differential braking; probably not a good idea on a lawn.

The GlueGuy

/ Should he buy a BX2200 or the B7500? #5  
Some people just want the bigger machine and nothing wrong with that--3 acres is not much even for a BX.
I agree with Glueguy as usual in most respects. I demoed a used (slightly used) 7500 before I decided I liked the BX better. The biggest difference I found was not things measured on paper or brochures or statistics but the feel of the two units compared back to back. My opinion, the BX is considerably more manuverable in the same spots because I did use them in the same places and around the same trees and other diffucult areas (mowing). I liked the bigger loader and big tractor feel of the 7500 a whole lot. I did not like it at all as a mower. The biggest difference even with the 7500 rear wheels opened all the way out--it wanted to roll over or was very unsteady feeling in places the BX feels rock solid. I much preferred the suspended mid mount 60 inch deck of the BX to whatever that was on the 7500 (also a midmount but with pneumatic tires). Be happy with your BX and let him get what he wants and both of you stay off that steep hill if it is really that steep. J

/ Should he buy a BX2200 or the B7500? #6  
I recently went through the same process. Spent alot of time thinking BX2200 or B7500. Ultimately I chose the B7500 for the following reasons:
Much better ground clearance.
I like the bigger tractor feel of the B7500
Bigger loader
A little more flexibility with regard to "things" that can be hung off the back of the tractor at some point

Either way you won't go wrong. I liked both alot. It really comes down to what you need it for, the condition of your property and which one you feel better sitting in.

Good Luck and enjoy!

sk

/ Should he buy a BX2200 or the B7500? #7  
Same thing for me. The dealer came to my place and by looking at my property suggested the BX. He asked me what my plans were. I told him the regular stuff - mowing, bush hogging, snowblowing. I also mentioned that in 3-5 years I may consider a back hoe. As soon as I said that, the BX brochures got put away and the B series brochures came out.

My last tractor was 20 years old when I traded it this year, and it was in mint condition. I plan on having this one for at least that long. Like most of my mechanical purchases, I prefer to err on the plus side.

18-55424-kubota.jpg