Oil & Fuel Should I drain the fuel tank?

/ Should I drain the fuel tank? #1  

rkhpapa

Tractor
Kubota L4400
Since moving to warmer climes, I have found it necessary to store my L4400 in a barn in New Hampshire. I'm only up there in the summer now, and for the past three summers it's seen only minimal use....<20 hours. I make an effort to see that the fuel tank is topped off with fresh (with additive) diesel
every time I leave, and now I have to go up there to close the place down for the winter. That means that at least some of the fuel in that tank is over 2 years old and will be close to three years old by the time I get back up there next spring.
Is this OK? Is it OK since the fuel is treated? Should I drain it? If so, how much of the old stuff can I leave in there? What about the fuel filter?
All responses are welcome because I'm really uncertain as to the best move now.
Thanks,
rkhpapa

/ Should I drain the fuel tank? #2  
I work with standby generators that have fuel that can be ten or more years in the tank. My best suggestion is to fill it to 75% and add a little treatment. Diesel does not degrade over time like gasoline.

Cheers

/ Should I drain the fuel tank? #3  
There is no need to drain the fuel as diesel will last for many years. Especially in your case where it's inside and not getting really hot. It's just not a problem.

A full tank is best because it will breath less, so it will have less chance to get moisture and then algae. The only treatment I'd recommend, if any, is something with an algaecide.

/ Should I drain the fuel tank?
Thanks very much to both of you for the quick replies. I thought I'd hear something similar, but I'm glad to have it confirmed.
rkhpapa

/ Should I drain the fuel tank? #5  
By all means add alagecide. You don't want that growing in your tank. I got it in my skid steer a few years ago and fought it all summer. It is cheap insurance

/ Should I drain the fuel tank? #6  
I work with standby generators that have fuel that can be ten or more years in the tank. My best suggestion is to fill it to 75% and add a little treatment. Diesel does not degrade over time like gasoline.

Cheers

Not true here in Oregon where all diesel is B5 and they want to go to B10 and they are pushing B20 at some stations with the state tax waved as an incentive. Still looking for bio free diesel for standby generator use.

David

/ Should I drain the fuel tank? #7  
Not true here in Oregon where all diesel is B5 and they want to go to B10 and they are pushing B20 at some stations with the state tax waved as an incentive. Still looking for bio free diesel for standby generator use.

David

How Green:confused2: Will these morons ever leave ANYTHING alone? How much power / mileage do you lose in the bargain for your state tax waive?