Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Size of Skid Shoes

/ Size of Skid Shoes #1  

Captain Dirty

Platinum Member
Tractor
Goldoni 600, Kubota L45
Is there a rule of thumb giving the number of square inches of skid per hundred lbs. of implement so that a snowblower or blade will "float" on various surfaces, specifically loose stone?

My son got some 3/8" stone for a driveway project, but had to move the pile to make way for an arborist's truck. He spread much of the stone on his existing driveway. The previous stone surface had fines and was fairly well consolidated; the present surface is loose. When I plow or blow my mushroom skids make 2 furrows, the plow leaves a pile of stone and snow, or the blower spreads stone all over his adjacent yard. I have my top link shortened and the skid shoes at max height on the plow. I am considering larger skid shoes. If it is a trial and error process, I would prefer to make fewer tries.

/ Size of Skid Shoes #2  
Well on my 60 inch blower I made mine 12 inches long by 2.5 wide and I have a stone drive.
No problems.
This is a case where too big is really not a problem while too small is.

I'll add that once U have a well frozen base U can even remove the over size skids.

/ Size of Skid Shoes #3  
Wheels would work better than skid shoes. Power trac plows for the power track tractors work pretty well on gravel compared to skids. power-trac.com

Last edited: