Ski/Tubing Tow Rope

/ Ski/Tubing Tow Rope #1  

HobbleCreek

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720
I have heard of people running a tow rope off of the tractor's PTO to pull people up a hill for tubing back down the hill. Have any of you done anything like this? Any suggestions of how this could be accomplished?

/ Ski/Tubing Tow Rope #2  
I don't know about current tractors. Older ones had a large power driven pulley on the side for running other machinery - like a big circular saw for cutting logs into firewood.

/ Ski/Tubing Tow Rope
I found this one on YouTube, made with an electric motor. The nice thing about the electric motor (besides being quiet) is that he was able to rig in a safety shut of for in case a kid fails to let go of the rope (or gets tangled up in it). I think that could still be done, maybe by wiring the switch into the safety shutoff under the seat of the tractor, which shuts off the PTO if I stand up.

/ Ski/Tubing Tow Rope #4  
As a teen I skied a lot and back then most ski tows were rope tows, generally a car/truck engine driving a locked differential.
Heck they were OK as long as U were not the sole user as that rope was sure heavy.

They later upgraded to electric power and later the rope was abandoned in favor of 'T Bars' or occasionally a 'J Bar'.

As to safety, they usually had a trip line at the top that sut things down.
The balance of the uphill run depended on the operators sharp eyes.

/ Ski/Tubing Tow Rope #5  
Ruined a lot of gloves on the old rope tows back in the late 60’s and 70’s, t-bars were fun just because we would watch first time skiers trying to use them and all the wipe outs that people did were funny for the most part.
The first ski slop I went to had all rope tows but they also only had 3 runs short runs.

/ Ski/Tubing Tow Rope #6  
Ruined a lot of gloves on the old rope tows back in the late 60’s and 70’s, t-bars were fun just because we would watch first time skiers trying to use them and all the wipe outs that people did were funny for the most part.
The first ski slop I went to had all rope tows but they also only had 3 runs short runs.

We generally used leather mittens on the rope tows.
On cold days we'd add woolen liners.
Later in the rope tow era some guy developed a ski mitten that had rows of staples in the palm area to deter the palms from getting trashed.
Problem was the wet (and usually it was) rope slipped rather than grabbed.
LOL, the extra firm handshake was a sure sigh of an ardent skier.

(Oops, think we are showing our age)

Also 'back then' (B4 snow grooming machines) they generally issued free tow passes in the AM to prepare the hills for the casual skier.

/ Ski/Tubing Tow Rope #7  
I remember a tow powered by a truck with one of the rear tires removed. There was a light rope across the top of the lift so if someone went too far it would kill the ignition. It took three of these lifts to get to the top of the hill. There was also a lift grip, that you attached to your belt, that could be attached to the rope once you got moving. It was built to release if you let go of it. The hill had a Oliver crawler with 2x4s bolted to the tracks to "Groom" the hill. An "All Day Ticket" was $2.50.