Slipper Leaf Spring Orientation

/ Slipper Leaf Spring Orientation #1  

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
I have a Karavan bran 2 place snowmobile, maybe 15 years old. I noticed a loose axle square U-bolt so I bought new ones for each side. I noticed that the slipper leaf springs were oriented opposite each other. The slipper was on the front mount on one side and the slipper was on the rear mount on the other. Anybody think this should be changed out ?

I've always seen slipper springs mounted with the eye in front.

/ Slipper Leaf Spring Orientation #2  
It would seem one wheel would move back and the other foward when springs were compresed going over dips and holes in road. If that happens,the trailer whip's side to side. Does trailer whip at high speed? If not I would't worry bout it.

/ Slipper Leaf Spring Orientation #3  
With the eye in the rear, the spring is more likely to bend when hitting a pothole. It changes the suspension on that side from a trailing arm to a leading arm. Like pushing a hand truck over a curb vs pulling it.

I would change it.

Bruce

/ Slipper Leaf Spring Orientation #4  
With the eye in the rear, the spring is more likely to bend when hitting a pothole. It changes the suspension on that side from a trailing arm to a leading arm. Like pushing a hand truck over a curb vs pulling it.

I would change it.

Bruce

I would as well. Slippers to the rear.

/ Slipper Leaf Spring Orientation #5  
It seams to me that it's wrong. When a tire drops into a pot hole the force will try to push the wheel to the rear of the trailer. The axle should transfer that force directly to the spring assuming the center bolt on the spring fits snugly into the plate on the axle and the U-bolts are property torqued. With the spring bolt in the front it'll try to stretch the spring, which it'll have very little it can. But with it on the rear the spring will push on the bolt. This could make the spring curve more raising the trailer off the axle. The only things to stop it would be the strength of the spring and the bent end on the slipper side. By having it mounted two different ways I could see a situation, say crossing a RR track where each side of the trailer is doing different things, not something I would want.

/ Slipper Leaf Spring Orientation #6  
Slipper springs have an eye on the front of the spring and an arched open end on the rear, allowing the spring to “slip” on the equalizer or rear hanger. Hanger brackets in a slipper spring suspension [Image by etrailer.com] Leaf springs in a slipper spring suspension [Image by etrailer.com]

From the internet.

/ Slipper Leaf Spring Orientation #7  
It might not be right but after 15 years of use with no complaints...

/ Slipper Leaf Spring Orientation #8  
It might not be right but after 15 years of use with no complaints...

The current complaint is with the U bolts. If there were no complaints he probably wouldn't know that one spring is backwards. U bolts don't usually decide to get loose after 15 years, there's a cause.