Smooth yard with sprinkler system

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system #11  
have you considered a Johnnybucket jr for your tractor?
you could have the topsoil delivered, then use your own tractor
to move the topsoil around the property to fill in the holes and
back drag to level it out. beats a wheelbarrow!
going around with some sort of drag after would work it into
the low spots, and it doesn't have to be special, a section of
chain link fence should be had for cheap.

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system
A JB JR would be nice to have, but would probably only use once so renting something would be more econmical. Now if they had a Jr Jr ? The drag - yes some chain link would do, our subdivision does not allow chain link fences so I would need to raid somewhere else:)

Drew property lines on picture for better explination of grass area. Leaning toward a Johnny Bucket Jr and a "Landscape Drag". Still have a month or so till grass planting season. May even wait till next year as it isn't a huge problem. Will post results when done. Arial 1.jpg

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system #14  
I'm up in Ashland City, just west of Nashville. I would love to come help but the fuel costs to get my tractor there and back might make that $500.00 a load dirt seem reasonable. Have you though about getting a craigslist disk to pull behind you tractor? Put some blocks on it to weigh it down and just spend a weekend riding around. The disk will help self level out the ruts then you would only be left with the holes to fill. Do it after rain when the ground will be softer. They also might rejuvenate that Fescue.

Put flags in where the heads are and go around them.

Yes the transpotation of you tractor would eat up any savings, but thanks for the offer.
I have been checking rental prices, $200 a day for a mini-skid steer, $300 a day for Bobcat or tractor with FEL. My doing it would take a couple days so it may be cost efficent to get my own Jr bucket which can be used for other things also. The JB Jr is $1200, the Deere one is $900 and best choice is a Swisher bucket at $400. The Swisher does not have a power lift and must use a winch or buy an actuator. I have a winch I use for my plug aerator I can use. See http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/268513-aerator-lift-using-winch.html#post3145127
That used my now defunked web pages, so here is a video of the aerator with winch
Also like the idea of not using heavy tractor or skid steers.
All my problems are low spots, no high spots.

Last edited:
Thanks Dutch 445, the idea of a bucket won. I bought a Deere 40 inch bucket. The Swisher was cheaper but didn't have down force if I used my winch and would need to make a mount for the bucket and winch. The Johnny Bucket Jr would be good, but cost about $400 more than the Deere. The Deere is designed for my X300 and it has down force and power lift and dump. It also has the function to use as a blade.
Started with 6 yards of what they call "Top Soil" for $200 delivered. May need another load next year and hope I can find some Soil/Compost/Sand to top dress it for the smaller bumps. Some pictures below of filled holes and what the previous owners left behind an A frame for a swing that I used to Drag it smooth. Bought a 20 ft chain that was on sale - can use it for other things later.
I started with shovel and wheelbarrow but after about 3 trips my back was hurting. The Deere shovel is a real back saver. I also have some other uses for the shovel for mulching and plants.
Dirt 3.JPGdirt 2.JPGDirt1.JPGdirt 4.JPG

Last edited:
Well it's been a year now since I filled the holes and ruts. I did not try top dressing yet as other projects have taken priority. I did find the Deere 40 inch shovel to be useful last winter when we had 5 inches of snow, rare for southern Tennessee. I cleared my short driveway and sidewalk easily. I'm sorry I left the tire chains in Ohio:grumpy: Here are a couple shots of the lawn - recovered very nicely after aerating and over seeding.

Yard 12-05 1.JPGYard 12-05 2.JPG

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system #18  
Nice results. That bucket looks like a handy tool.

It has been over 4 years now and it feels like the bumps have returned to a lesser degree. Feel like I just need to do some top dressing. What would be a good mix for that, mainly to smooth out the slight holes. I have a place that does dirt, top soil, compost, mulch and sand and will mix together whatever I want. Was thinking coarse sand and pulverised topsoil 50-50?

Last edited: