Smoothing out a lawn with many wide and narrow but shallow holes.

/ Smoothing out a lawn with many wide and narrow but shallow holes. #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Good Day to You;
I have a lawn, about 1.3 acres that has many shallow holes (no more than 8 inches deep) that need filling in. I have a Massey Furg C2410 with a 48 inch loader and a 48 inch box blade. Has anyone done this with a small tractor and what implement would you recommend? I would even consider a 5 or 6 foot scraper or even a tiller if that was the suggestion.

Maybe another method could be recommended?

What to use to fill the holes up-loam? Regular dirt with loam ontop? This is going to be my next project this year and I will start as soon as mud season is done.

/ Smoothing out a lawn with many wide and narrow but shallow holes. #2  
Your box blade should work just fine. If I was doing it I would work on 1/4 to 1/3 of a section of the area at one time. Start out by steering figure-8s. You’ll see it start to level out after a couple hours.

/ Smoothing out a lawn with many wide and narrow but shallow holes. #3  
Just make sure its super dry to move dirt. You can move alot using the box blade and loader

/ Smoothing out a lawn with many wide and narrow but shallow holes. #4  
The Box Blade you have would be my first choice in implements.

Why do you doubt your Box Blade?

/ Smoothing out a lawn with many wide and narrow but shallow holes.
I would say I doubt my skills more-my box blade is 48 inches and most of these holes are wider than that. I was wondering if the scraper blade-a 60 inch might get the job done quicker. I will try it again as soon as things dry out and i can take of the snowblower. I still may buy a 60 inch blade just to have in my inventory.

/ Smoothing out a lawn with many wide and narrow but shallow holes. #6  
I would say I doubt my skills more-my box blade is 48 inches and most of these holes are wider than that. I was wondering if the scraper blade-a 60 inch might get the job done quicker. I will try it again as soon as things dry out and i can take of the snowblower. I still may buy a 60 inch blade just to have in my inventory.
My JD2720 with a full box blade that is 60" can almost stall if not careful. Your GC2410 is smaller engine so 48" should work. You can tie a 6' 2x6 at the back to give you more coverage after done cutting dirt to grade things out.

/ Smoothing out a lawn with many wide and narrow but shallow holes. #7  
If you have the inclination to drive down to Cape Cod, I can sell you a 5' plain rear blade for $100.
It is in good condition.
I won't be there until mid May though.
PM me if you are interested.

/ Smoothing out a lawn with many wide and narrow but shallow holes. #8  
Been there, and done that with a Tiller, Box scraper and rake. Till the entire 1.3 acres, box scrape any remaining holes and then rake it and seed it and you'll have a nice flat lawn.