Spike Aerator for seeding?

/ Spike Aerator for seeding? #1  

Spiffy

Veteran Member
Tractor
PT2445; several ag machines and classics
From everything I've read, the spike aerators are fairly worthless for aerating, but I'm wondering if using no weight it'd be effective for "setting" grass seed. I'm too cheap to use any covering that won't blow away and too lazy to hand rake the about 1/2 acre that is begging for new seed.

Also I noticed coring spoons listed on another thread; I wonder if I could bolt some of these [or make some?!] to the spike disks when I don't want it for seeding. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Finally anyone heard of Rugid [seen it at TSC for $125]? I see their spreader etc. on online dealers, but not the aerator or a home page. It does look to be twice the machine as the best one Menards is selling [$90]. Actually with the TSC one it looks like a real simple mod to create a depth setting [usefull only if it makes sense for seeding].

/ Spike Aerator for seeding? #2  
Spike aerators aren't "worthless". Anything that will punch a few holes in the sod is helping relieve compaction. Spikers are good for busting up thatch too. Core aerators are the preferred method, but spikers are better than nothing. Finally, yes, it will help set the seed. John Deere and many others sell a spike aerator/spreader. The theory is that the seed drops from the hopper and is planted by the aerator. Have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Spike Aerator for seeding? #3  
I just did a half acre with my Craftsman tow-behind drop spreader/spiker. The grass seed liked the little torn up lines better than the areas that weren't torn up. It worked OK but not great. I think it would have worked just as well to use a broad cast spreader and then add some weight to the spreader and just drive around with the spikes down to rough up the top inches of soil.

I found it hard to tune the spreader to lay down the seed very evenly, it was either too fast or too little and it did result in a few bare stripes that I had to fill in later.

The broadcast spreader does a better job of laying seed out in a random pattern.

Not an ideal way to do it but it will work.

/ Spike Aerator for seeding? #4  
I have used my little pull behind spike aerator to overseed sever times and it works great for that, so I would imagine for new seed it's work well too

/ Spike Aerator for seeding? #5  
Spiffy, I have a 4' spike drum aerator that I fill with water then add solid 8" blocks on if needed and have had very good success in aerating and busting up hard pack soil.
I know its works because after throwing down my seed 3 weeks later I have grass growing in the same checker board pattern that is on the drum /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif .... But the one thing about that drum style is you have to lift it to make your turns unless its a very gradual turn /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Spike Aerator for seeding?
Thanks everyone!

Actually most of areas in question fall in a grey area between new and re-seeding [a little dirt work, but I was mostly after the areas that had no green after I sprayed for weeds].

That drum aerator sounds like a pretty good unit, but seeing a break in the weather this morning I broke down and bought the TSC one.

Just like my first impression, not "indestructable" (like I prefer in most things), but probably last me a life time (or until I sell it in favor of something better) and much better than what I saw at Menards and Runnings.

While not doing the aerating job like a core type does, I was rather pleased. I went over everything with 4 concrete blocks on it. Since speed didn't seem to matter for penetration, I went as fast as the lawn tractor would go and it was poking 1-2" holes, throwing up thatch, and even a few "cores." I then seeded the bare and sparse areas and finally re"aerated" over everything [the really soft spots with no weight] and the rest with 2 blocks.

There was one area that I just couldn't get good penetration, so (I am a seasoned idiot: don't try this at home) I put my 200lbs on top as well, now that did a beautiful job [though you can see nobody was steering]!

Anyway, I'll know in a few weeks how well it worked!