Splitter question

/ Splitter question #11  
Hello,
When I made my log splitter, I placed the tank above the pump. I'm not sure if I read somewhere to do it that way or not......that was about 30 years ago !!!!! But it makes sense to me.....the pump will always be full of fluid because of gravity. Why make the pump pull the fluid if gravity can do the job without any effort !!! Mine has always worked great in that configuration !!!!! Maybe someone out there has better info, but I don't think anybody has answered that question for you yet !!!!

MFWD

/ Splitter question #12  
What you say is correct, but really not practical so as to keep a low profile.

You will probably see tank below in most log splitter configurations.

Hyd gear pumps can draw from a tank located below the pump level.

/ Splitter question
Wow thanks. I'll have to keep looking at this thread to remember the formula.

I wonder if one like that would be marketed at a 20 ton? Maybe 19. Good to know though.

Back to my tank, I measured the old one and it's 3/4 gallon. Pretty small, but it has worked, especially when I didn't know any better :). I have a piece of steel tubing 4"x4" and 30" long. I calculated it at just under 1.9 gallons, internally. The actual ID is 3.75x3.75 and that was what I used to calculate my volume.

I will need to weld up the ends and add a fill tube and hose fittings. I figure a piece of 1.5" galvanized pipe with a cap would make the fill pipe and will have to locate some weld on hose fittings.

/ Splitter question #14  
Hello,
I would re-think on the size of your tank.....you won't be anywhere close to the rule of 1 gal. of fluid to each GPM of pump. At the very least, I wouldn't go smaller than a 5 gallon tank. That fluid really gets hot during splitting in the summer months !!! Just my 2 cents....good luck !!!!

MFWD

/ Splitter question #15  
You can get weld-on pipe bungs/flanges from Surplus Center ... as well as a suction strainer, if it doesn't have that either ... ;)

(BTW - Avoid welding galvanized steel ... unless you're in a very well-ventilated area ... it creates phosgene gas ... nasty stuff ... used in WWI as a poison gas)

/ Splitter question
Yea am aware of the galvanized danger, but thanks. I realize the 1.8 gal is not up to the formula, but has worked a lot with 3/4 gallon tank.

What does it hurt to have smaller? This is for personal use, but when it gets used, it could be a full day affair.

I will keepp my eyes open for a larger tank. Cant afford to buy one. It was a real stretch to pat the $500 for the splitter.