Starter spins, pinion gear jumps up to flywheel, but, wont turn engine over. Battery well charged...??

/ Starter spins, pinion gear jumps up to flywheel, but, wont turn engine over. Battery well charged...??
Update: The pinion gear itself separated from the "base" with the threads inside it. It would seem that I just get a new pinion gear WITH the threaded inner diameter!!!

Thanks all.

/ Starter spins, pinion gear jumps up to flywheel, but, wont turn engine over. Battery well charged...??
Okay, I still need some info. As mentioned, my pinion gear looks fine, but, it separated from the "nut" (part no 92210 on the Kawasaki parts list/site - below). So I figured, I'll just buy a new 'setup', but, they are sold separately, (odd that mine did not have the middle "seal", part no 92093). But if I buy them separately, then how will I connect them together?? Knowing that, I should be able to just do that with my current parts, shouldn't I?? I can't imagine they're glued together. The nut has 3 little holes, but, I can't imagine rivets were used.

Don't know what to do to fix this starter. (I did order a new one, but, knowing how this one 'failed', thinking I can fix it and put it on the shelf and use in the future.

Thoughts? Thank you!!!

Jay

Attachments

• starter parts.JPG
    starter parts.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 73
Now I'm really confused. The gear and the nut can't be locked together, else the starter would eat itself when the gear slammed into the flywheel. Maybe the armature/starter is just, as I said initially, lost it's ...umph and can't spin fast/hard enough to throw the nut UP into the gear, (and subsequently into the flywheel)... But (more confused looks on my face), the starter DOES get the gear up to the flywheel, but, it won't spin the flywheel. Maybe the starter isn't spinning fast/hard enough to hold the nut up INTO the gear to spin the flywheel?

Anyone know the answer :)? Thank you.

/ Starter spins, pinion gear jumps up to flywheel, but, wont turn engine over. Battery well charged...?? #14  
The drive just goes together the way it shows. That rubber washer just provides friction. In any case, just put the new starter on and throw this one away. You won't ever need it again.

/ Starter spins, pinion gear jumps up to flywheel, but, wont turn engine over. Battery well charged...?? #15  
If it was me:

1) Make sure connections clean and try different battery or jumper cables. That will rule out battery

2) Try Jumper cables DIRECTLY on the starter lug and ground. That will rule out wiring amp drop. (make sure you have it in neutral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

If it still doesn't start, I'd replace starter. They can get weak. I went though this with a 4 wheeler, dealer even said starter was fine on bench test, still wouldn't crank the engine, would spin wide open when removed from engine and on booster cables. Put a new starter on and instant start.....

/ Starter spins, pinion gear jumps up to flywheel, but, wont turn engine over. Battery well charged...?? #16  
The starter ground wire looks kinda flimsy, I'd install a heavier jumper wire after cleaning the grounding points