Sthil FS45

/ Sthil FS45 #11  
Now we are cooking. First of all, you have a mismatch between the recoil starter type and the recoil item that is on the engine. The starter part that is bolted onto the engine as shown in your post #4, photo 4, requires the recoil starter as shown in photo 1 of post #4.

Here is a photo of a screen shot from a video, note that the recoil start item on the engine is a cup type;
Stihle FS45 starter cup.PNG

If you want to use the recoil housing that you have, then you need to get this cup style item for the engine.

/ Sthil FS45
So you are saying the one I have listed as EZ start is the correct starter.

/ Sthil FS45 #13  
So you are saying the one I have listed as EZ start is the correct starter.
Yes that would work with the item that is now bolted onto the crankshaft. You have choice of either getting a starter housing that will work with the item on the crank, or getting a different crank part that is like the cup that is shown in the photo that I took from a video. Then the recoil housing that you have will work with the cup type part.

I did not check on prices for the items.

/ Sthil FS45
Hi Richard, Thanks for taking the time to figure this out, I now know exactly what I need to go either way.
I did something I never do and threw out the original housing and guts, now I am paying for it, could have no doubt rebuilt that unit with new spring etc.
Seems difficult to get any kind of info about Sthil.

/ Sthil FS45 #15  
Have you been able to get the parts and get your saw going ?

Let us know.

/ Sthil FS45
Hi, I am pretty sure I have , I order a used starter housing on E b, waiting for it to arrive, it should match the end that is on the motor, Ill let you know the outcome.
Thanks for asking.
Geo🇺🇸

/ Sthil FS45
Hi, anyone know what Dia the starter rope is?
P/S runs like new, starts with 3 pulls.

Last edited:
   / Sthil FS45
Hi All, is there a good video to show how to replace the starter cord on an EZ start Stihl FS45 weed eater, to prevent the spring from unwinding?