Comparison T5070 vs T4-110

/ T5070 vs T4-110 #1  

jloven

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 4720, 2014 New Holland T5.115, 2017 JD 4066R cab
Looking to upgrade to either a T5070 or a T4-110. The T5070 is a 2012 with 400 hours, T4-110 has 300 hours on it, 2016 model. Both are priced the same. I like the fact that the 5070 is pre TIER 4. Other than that, is there much difference? I'm just not that familiar with the T5070, I have looked at the T4-110 at a dealership. Both are several hours away from me.
Will be using it to roll hay, mow, pull a 2 row silage cutter, and pull a 3 row plow.

Thanks for any input.

/ T5070 vs T4-110 #2  
The T5070 has a larger frame, bigger cab, heavier chassis and longer wheelbase than the T4 series. It has EGR but no DPF or DEF. It also uses a stronger FEL. If I could have found a low hour T5050, 60 or 70 at a decent price / great condition when I was tractor shopping, I would have bought one. Do yourself a favor and check out the used 5070. Good luck!

/ T5070 vs T4-110
The T5070 has a larger frame, bigger cab, heavier chassis and longer wheelbase than the T4 series. It has EGR but no DPF or DEF. It also uses a stronger FEL. If I could have found a low hour T5050, 60 or 70 at a decent price / great condition when I was tractor shopping, I would have bought one. Do yourself a favor and check out the used 5070. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Coolnature. Do you think there is much difference between the 5060 and 5070? I found a 5060 with more hours (1400) that is closer and about $9k less. It seems to be well maintained. My other issue is I need to get rid of a Ford 7810 2wd before I can move on a replacement. The trade value they are giving me on it is disappointing to say the least.

/ T5070 vs T4-110 #4  
Thanks for the reply Coolnature. Do you think there is much difference between the 5060 and 5070? I found a 5060 with more hours (1400) that is closer and about $9k less. It seems to be well maintained. My other issue is I need to get rid of a Ford 7810 2wd before I can move on a replacement. The trade value they are giving me on it is disappointing to say the least.

The 5070 has about (6) more PTO HP over the 5060 at standard PTO speed according to the Nebraska Test Lab (tractortestlab.unl.edu). The Case I...070 and the 5060 if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
   / T5070 vs T4-110 #5  
The T5060 was more popular because it was right around 100 hp, the T5070 was an awesome tractor but there were still some variations to the t5000 series, see off it has the hi/lo shift on the main gear shift because that will be huge when making hay! That gives you an extra shift in each gear which is good to have when mowing and baling. The new T4 series has been really Good! They Do have a shorter wheelbase but the models with Def fluid have no particulate filter and have a lot of torque and buddy seats! Good luck!

/ T5070 vs T4-110
Ok, after doing more shopping, I am now contemplating between a T4.115 and a t5.115. The T5 is roughly $7k more. Basic question, is it worth it? One dealer tells me he doesn't even stock T5s since they are close to T6???
T4 transmission is 12x12 while the t5 is the electro command 16x16. Other than that, they are almost identically equipped.
Opinions please. Thanks

/ T5070 vs T4-110 #7  
I really think it is going to depend on your use case. I have a T4.105 and I think if I had to upgrade I would jump to the T6 series as your dealer is saying. The biggest difference mechanically is the transmission, you will get more speeds to choose from. I believe there are more creature comfort options available in the T5 series, like better radio, seat options, ETC. If you start optioning out a T5 you will probably be getting close in cost to the T6 series.

There are times in my T4, particularly when I am cutting hay when 3rd gear is a bit slow and 4th gear is a bit fast where that extra gearing would be nice. In my mind going a little bit slower than I would like and adding a little bit of time to the job is not worth than extra money to go to the T5 series.

My T4 does not have the HI/LOW or 2 Speed option that is available on the newer T4 tractors, so if the tractor you are looking at has this option you will have more speeds to choose from and find that right speed for the operation you are doing.

Are the extra gearing and creature comfort options going to be worth the extra money, or not, is going to depend on your budget and on the tasks you want to use the tractor for.

If you are looking for a very nice tractor, without all the extra frills the T5 series brings, the T4 is right for you. I have been very happy with my T4 and fits into my operation very well, if I had it to do over again I would purchase the same tractor again.

/ T5070 vs T4-110
Thanks eth for the reply. The majority of the work I will be doing is hay, mowing and baling. But I also need to grind corn with a NH 355 grinder and cut silage (10 acres) with a NH 790 cutter. I figure either will do about the same since they both put out 98 PTO HP.
I do have to plow twice a year with a 3 row plow. Will the T4 handle the plowing chores? Only about 10 acres. I really don't want to spend more than I have to at this point. $7k increase won't break me up but I don't want to spend it if I can get the plowing done with the T4.

/ T5070 vs T4-110 #9  
As you stated both the T4 and T5 are rated the same as they have the same engines, so they are both should be capable of the same duties, I believe the T5 weighs slightly more than the T4. I have used mine for cutting, tedding, raking, baling, manure hauling, snow blowing, discing, culti-mulching, planting and I am sure stuff I have forgot. Both are a great sized tractor for many different uses.

The T4 or T5 should handle a 3 bottom moldboard plow without problems. Chopping maybe a bit slow depending on how good of corn you are chopping, I would also be careful depending on how hilly of an area you are chopping, as weight with the chopper and a silage wagon could push either a T4 or T5 around depending on the size of your wagons. If this is an issue you could just not fill the wagons as full.

The difference between the 2 is ultimately up to you. It is very similar to different trim levels in pickups, one is going to be a higher trim level than the other, with more bells and whistles. If you are the type of person who needs all the bells and whistles then the T5 is going to be the better option for you. I personally would use the $7K elsewhere, like keeping debt down or purchasing a different piece of equipment that needs upgrading or will improve the efficiency of your farm.

I would suggest if you get either the T4 or T5 get the monitor bracket, it is very nice to have. I just put mine in this spring, along with adding a 3rd hydraulic remote, so I could run the planter with my T4 and free up another tractor for other things in the spring.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.

Tractor 1 grinding feed.jpgTractor 2 Planter.jpgTractor 3 Planting.jpgTractor 4 Discing.jpgTractor 4 Monitor Mounting.jpg