Price Check TC18 price check/ things to look for

/ TC18 price check/ things to look for #1  

bajarage

Tractor
NONE
Hello everyone,

I have a question about a TC18 I found locally for sale.

About the tractor:

It comes with a Rhino 2406 FEL

It has 519.9 Hours on it, as of this afternoon, and has the original hydraulic filter on it, painted the same color as the undercarriage.

I looked it over fairly well, the tie rod end on the knuckle side of the drag link is toast, and the rest are probably worn.

The front 'bumper' on the chassis is bent, it looks like someone hooked a chain to it and tried to pull it or something else with it. Inline with that bend in the bumper are some dent in the hard lines for the FEL that cross at the support tube, none look to be leaking or cracked.

The left, as your looking at the tractor, rear lift arm looks to be weeping or leaking, covered in gunk on that side but not the other.

Tires are a little chewed up on the edges.

The dealer is asking $7950.

It doesn't come with any implements and I haven't driven it yet or ran it to see how it functions.

I am used to my dad's Kubota b7500 and I know this has a little less power than the kubota.

I have under half an acre that needs to be smoothed out and mowed, with some landscaping/ digging to access the lower portion of the property.

Questions:

How durable are these machines?
Any known problems I should look for?
What do you think it is worth, ball park?

Thank you in advanced

Last edited:
   / TC18 price check/ things to look for #2  
I like the NH TC's. I've owned TC30's, 40's and a 45. Rhino loaders are good and the one I had on a TC30 fit it as well as a stock loader.

With the leaks and issues, I'd be looking at a screaming deal or finding another machine. Price the hard hydraulic lines and that will knock your socks off for sure.

You make it sound like a bit of a clunker, but pictures are worth 1000 words. Post some pics and that will help us to understand how good or bad a machine it might be.

/ TC18 price check/ things to look for
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.

However,this is the listing for the tractor. On the dealer website it is listed as a 2002.

They didn't accept my offer​ of $5k at this point.

I guess it's off to wander through Craigslist and tractor house some more.

/ TC18 price check/ things to look for #4  
The tractor house link you posted says it is a 2007. I doubt it is a 2007 since they produced that model up to 2003. They went to a sub-compact on a smaller frame after that which is a TZ18. That tractor pictured has spent a lot of it's life outside. The handles on all the levers are real weather worn. Same with the plastic cowling and side handles. One picture the cowling is black but I suspect it just got a bath and looks shiny black. Another picture the cowling is gray and weathered.

I have a 2003 TC18 with factory 12LA myself. It's done everything I've asked it to do. As long as you realize it's a compact tractor and not a 50HP tractor. I haven't had any issues at all with mine. It's a great little tractor.

/ TC18 price check/ things to look for #5  
Looks just so-so. I think you are closer to the real value at 5 grand than they are at 8. It's probably a 6k tractor. Maybe 6500. Doubt they would go that low.

For half an acre, I would think that it would be enough tractor. These are good machines if well cared for. That one may be fine, but the sun has taken it's toll. Funny, but with a little bit of care and a carport, the owner could have a 10 thousand dollar machine. Instead, it looks junky and will not sell for near that.

/ TC18 price check/ things to look for #6  
Just sold my 2003 NH TC18 with 959 hrs for 7500.00. Payed 8k for it 9 years ago. Was a great machine no problems at all but as someone else mentioned they have their limitations. Some things I didn't like about it were the lower loader lift capacity 600lbs with the 7106 loader, hydraulics were lack luster and mine had no power steering.
But it is nice for the smaller property owners, small enough to get in tight places but yet big enough to be use full. I used mine for everything from snow plowing, fixing my gravel driveway every spring, dirt, mulch planting trees etc. Always got the job done.

/ TC18 price check/ things to look for #7  
Just sold my 2003 NH TC18 with 959 hrs for 7500.00. Payed 8k for it 9 years ago. Was a great machine no problems at all but as someone else mentioned they have their limitations. Some things I didn't like about it were the lower loader lift capacity 600lbs with the 7106 loader, hydraulics were lack luster and mine had no power steering.
But it is nice for the smaller property owners, small enough to get in tight places but yet big enough to be use full. I used mine for everything from snow plowing, fixing my gravel driveway every spring, dirt, mulch planting trees etc. Always got the job done.

9 years of use for $500. That's a good deal!!! :thumbsup:

Of course in CT, small tractors go for a premium. I tried buying used locally, but was always priced out of the market. I ended up buying my tractor in PA and took the 5 hours trip to pick it up. I am very confident I could sell it for more than I bought it for.

/ TC18 price check/ things to look for #8  
@BoylermanCT
Howdy neighbor, Over all I was happy with what I got for the TC18. I'm sure I could have gotten more if I wanted to deal with more tire kickers but I didn't have it in me and the tractor owed me nothing so I priced it for quick sale. I took good care of it and it was always stored indoors etc so it was in really good shape.
I know what you are saying on price's in our area. Like everything else in this god forsaken state everything cost us a lot more.
Like you I am having to look several hours away to find a replacement for the NH just to get a fair price. Right now I am trying to work the numbers to see if I can buy something new since there isn't much price difference between new and used for the class of machine I am looking for. I hate the thought of another payment but a new machine sure is a real nice thought...
Take care.

Jerry

/ TC18 price check/ things to look for #9  
Jerry, agreed on the high prices. I wanted to spend $10K and kept finding 10 year old John Deere 750's with 1000 hours. I got my Montana for $9K with 175 hours, and it outclasses most other tractors in the same HP range. Other than two blown hydraulic hoses, it has been 100% reliable. I've thought about getting a smaller tractor like a TC18 or TC24 with a front snowblower. That's my one regret about my tractor is it did not come with a mid-PTO so I can't hook up a front blower. So for now I stick with a plow. Good luck on the tractor hunt. I checked out all the local dealers. The John Deere dealer and the Mahindra dealer in Canaan seemed the most interested in selling me a tractor. Mahindra offers a lot of tractor for the money.