TC29D Tilt Steering Broken? Easy Repair

/ TC29D Tilt Steering Broken? Easy Repair #11  
Well, after months of the tilt steering not working, I fixed it today and took pictures of it. I hope this helps others out there with it.

First I had to remove the cover under the dash. Four screws in the engine compartment, and two in the front of the cover.

Next, remove two allen head screws holding the tilt handle in place. Then loosen the nut holding the tilt handle and unscrew. Becareful, this is a small spring under it and a very small plastic washer.

There is a small rod that pushes down to release the holding pressure. Mine was frozen, so I used a propane torch to heat the shaft a little and tap on it until it freed the rod. Then I oiled it and tapped on the small rod to work the oil down the shaft.

Check out the pictures of the tilt rod.

I am not sure what has to be removed to get to the cylinder in the first place. What did you have to remove to get to the bottom pin?

/ TC29D Tilt Steering Broken? Easy Repair #12  
4324FE02-0C23-4339-8A79-87D40A59877A.jpeg

/ TC29D Tilt Steering Broken? Easy Repair #13  
If I remember right, I had to disconnect the linkage of the cruise control plate, flip it backwards , out of the way, and drive the pin out with a hammer and punch. It was not easy to drive that pin out. Perhaps an air chisel with a punch would be easier. I reinstalled and pin but should have considered replacing it with a bolt and locknut. If you run the part number for the piston on ebay, there are cheaper replacements available.

/ TC29D Tilt Steering Broken? Easy Repair #14  
They sell a cap that goes on the top of the lift handle to keep water and crud from getting in the future .I slathered mine with anti seize first.:drink:

/ TC29D Tilt Steering Broken? Easy Repair #15  
Where did you get the cover?

/ TC29D Tilt Steering Broken? Easy Repair #16  
NH sells them for a tc 29da:drink:

/ TC29D Tilt Steering Broken? Easy Repair #17  
Hello gentlemen a newbie here with a 99 New Holland TC29D. Like many, my tilt steering will not lock. I've removed the covers and taken the two set screws from the top of the piston. Removed the handle assembly and have located the small pin in the center of the shock. I believe I've loosened the pin but I have no tension on the pin, it just moves inside of the shock cylinder. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the piston lock at some point when I move the pin in and out even though the assembly is disassembled? Doesn't seem to actuate or lock anything as the cylinder can be moved in and out with no lock. I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestion(s).