TC40D tilt steering wheel repair

/ TC40D tilt steering wheel repair #1  

GaryL54

Tractor
New Holland
Thank you to previous members who answered previous posts in regard to a floppy steering wheel I have replaced the shock absorber in the column. The new cylinder however won’t compress enough to allow me to replace the screws to attach the steering wheel bracket. I have tried push in the little button at the end of the shaft and pushing on the new shock… no luck. Any ideas?

/ TC40D tilt steering wheel repair #2  
Are you saying it won't compress far enough, or you can't compress it with one hand and start the screws with the other?

I had a similar problem on another tractor, same type of steering column shock absorber. I was able to push it in far enough, just couldn't keep it there long enough. I ended up pushing it in and tying it with wire. Then after install I cut and removed the wire. Worked for me.

/ TC40D tilt steering wheel repair
Thank you for your reply! We installed the shock on the column and pried it down with a couple of punches to line it up with the steering wheel holes. We were able to line in it up and place the holding screws. All is great now!