TC45DA water pump gasket leaking

/ TC45DA water pump gasket leaking #1  

dgeesaman

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
Hello,

A few weeks ago I replaced my water pump and lately I see that some coolant is now seeping through the gasket that seals to the block. Pump and gasket are brand new OEM parts.

The old gasket cracked apart and I scraped it off as carefully as I could. But it wasn't easy with all of the studs to navigate.

I checked the torque on the water pump hardware that was accessible and those were still plenty snug.

Should I have used a gasket sealant?

/ TC45DA water pump gasket leaking #2  
I won't presume to tell you what you should have done. On water pump gaskets I like to use a very thin film of blue RTV gasket stuff. I don't use it so much for its sealing properties as the ease with which it can be removed next time - and there always seems to be a next time, even if it's ten or fifteen years down the road.

/ TC45DA water pump gasket leaking #3  
ditto on what Roadworthy said. I do let the RTV blue skin a bit, dray out a bit . It has always worked for me.

/ TC45DA water pump gasket leaking #4  
Hello,

A few weeks ago I replaced my water pump and lately I see that some coolant is now seeping through the gasket that seals to the block. Pump and gasket are brand new OEM parts.

The old gasket cracked apart and I scraped it off as carefully as I could. But it wasn't easy with all of the studs to navigate.

I checked the torque on the water pump hardware that was accessible and those were still plenty snug.

Should I have used a gasket sealant?
Just saw your post and wanted to ask a couple questions - a few months ago I put a new fan belt on my TC33d and it was way tight... I should have stopped and gotten another belt but had a tree down that I needed the loader for so I got it on and off I went. Today the water pump seized up - I think I damaged the bearing while putting on the belt or just by having it so tight. I have a new water pump and belt, hoses and tstat on the way.
Just curious how big the job was to remove and replace? Did you pull the radiator and oil coolers? Just curious if you learned anything that would help me from making a mistake.
Also - did you end up taking it off and putting on the blue RTV?
Thanks

/ TC45DA water pump gasket leaking #5  
Make sure it isn't leaking between the pump and intermediate gasket that seals the pump casting to the steel plate that came with the pump. Sometimes the small short bolts holding the plate on aren't torqued and the gasket seals imperfectly if you didn't check those bolts.

/ TC45DA water pump gasket leaking #6  
Rick,

Unrelated to the subject matter but just noticed your signature in your post. It is just as perfect of the time to heed George Washington's word now in our country.

/ TC45DA water pump gasket leaking #7  
Rick,

Unrelated to the subject matter but just noticed your signature in your post. It is just as perfect of the time to heed George Washington's word now in our country.
Less of a concern for me now than when I put it there early last fall.