Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000

/ Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000 #11  
Richard - The cabs for the Pioneer are very sub-par compared to the Can Am, Polaris, John Deere cabs that I have been in. Just my opinion but it seems like the frames of those machines were designed/built with having a full cab in mind where with the Pioneer, the cab was an after thought.
Thats the type of info I'm looking for. Times being what they are it's difficult to find one at a dealership to look at.

I think I'd like the power system on the Honda. But a good quality cab is a biggie.

I looked at a Can Am cab model and visited with the owner. He said the heater draws air from the outside which pressurizes the cab and minimizes dust. He also said it is filtered air. That's what I'm wanting. I don't know if the Honda is that way. I'm not sure if Polaris is?

/ Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000 #12  
Thats the type of info I'm looking for. Times being what they are it's difficult to find one at a dealership to look at.

I think I'd like the power system on the Honda. But a good quality cab is a biggie.

I looked at a Can Am cab model and visited with the owner. He said the heater draws air from the outside which pressurizes the cab and minimizes dust. He also said it is filtered air. That's what I'm wanting. I don't know if the Honda is that way. I'm not sure if Polaris is?
I have a 2020 Can-am Defender with the factory cab. There is a large cab air filter up under the hood that filters the air for the cab. And yes, the cab is so tight that to shut the door completely I have to have a window cracked open. What I really like about it is that the windshield is hinged at the top; if I want more airflow in the cab I have the option to open the windshield about 6" - or open it all the way. The windshield is held up by struts and during the summer I drive that way all the time - yes, the owner's manual says it is perfectly OK to do so. Here's a shot of my windshield open all the way:
P1010749ertbn.jpg

I did a lot of research before ending up with the Can-am. A factory installed cab - covered by warranty - with door windows that roll up and down just like in any car was important to me because I wanted an all season vehicle. Not just when it is cold and nasty - but out here in the desert dust is a problem - I see guys out here with no cabs wearing special dust masks/respirators/goggles to keep from breathing thick dust kicked up by the machine or nearby machines. Only the Polaris Ranger and Can-am Defender offered a factory installed cab with roll-up windows (didn't consider Kubota or John Deere as the "recreation" part was important to me). Having to work with the two Polaris Rangers in my Search and Rescue unit convinced me I didn't want a Polaris. As far as drivetrains - my research showed that all these side-by-sides have problems, including the Honda. Honda had to replace a lot of clutch packs (their dual-clutch transmissions) because they burned out. And most of the guys I know who own belt-driven side-by-sides carry a spare belt. The problem with both the Honda system and the rest is primarily the owner - the driver. And that is because they don't use low range when they should. Climbing hills or towing or even just driving slowly in high range burns out the Honda clutches and burns up drive belts in the other machines. My Can-am owner's manual specifically states to use low range if the machine will be driven under 15 mph. Consequently, when I am poking around in the mountains there's days I rarely get the machine into high range - I keep it in low range and let the engine rev.

I carry a spare belt; if I ever needed to I bet I could change it out on the trail in a half hour, taking my time. Very easy to do. Changing a clutch pack on a Honda is not something you'd want to do on the trail.

Personally I can't wait for someone to come out with an electric side-by-side with a range of about 200 miles. No transmissions or belts to worry about. And no engine noise!

One other thing I found in my research that Honda Pioneer owners complained about a lot - engine heat radiating into the interior, making almost it unbearable inside on a warm day - and that's with no cab.

/ Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000 #13  
I have a 2020 Can-am Defender with the factory cab. There is a large cab air filter up under the hood that filters the air for the cab. And yes, the cab is so tight that to shut the door completely I have to have a window cracked open. What I really like about it is that the windshield is hinged at the top; if I want more airflow in the cab I have the option to open the windshield about 6" - or open it all the way. The windshield is held up by struts and during the summer I drive that way all the time - yes, the owner's manual says it is perfectly OK to do so. Here's a shot of my windshield open all the way:
View attachment 725910

I did a lot of research before ending up with the Can-am. A factory installed cab - covered by warranty - with door windows that roll up and down just like in any car was important to me because I wanted an all season vehicle. Not just when it is cold and nasty - but out here in the desert dust is a problem - I see guys out here with no cabs wearing special dust masks/respirators/goggles to keep from breathing thick dust kicked up by the machine or nearby machines. Only the Polaris Ranger and Can-am Defender offered a factory installed cab with roll-up windows (didn't consider Kubota or John Deere as the "recreation" part was important to me). Having to work with the two Polaris Rangers in my Search and Rescue unit convinced me I didn't want a Polaris. As far as drivetrains - my research showed that all these side-by-sides have problems, including the Honda. Honda had to replace a lot of clutch packs (their dual-clutch transmissions) because they burned out. And most of the guys I know who own belt-driven side-by-sides carry a spare belt. The problem with both the Honda system and the rest is primarily the owner - the driver. And that is because they don't use low range when they should. Climbing hills or towing or even just driving slowly in high range burns out the Honda clutches and burns up drive belts in the other machines. My Can-am owner's manual specifically states to use low range if the machine will be driven under 15 mph. Consequently, when I am poking around in the mountains there's days I rarely get the machine into high range - I keep it in low range and let the engine rev.

I carry a spare belt; if I ever needed to I bet I could change it out on the trail in a half hour, taking my time. Very easy to do. Changing a clutch pack on a Honda is not something you'd want to do on the trail.

Personally I can't wait for someone to come out with an electric side-by-side with a range of about 200 miles. No transmissions or belts to worry about. And no engine noise!

One other thing I found in my research that Honda Pioneer owners complained about a lot - engine heat radiating into the interior, making almost it unbearable inside on a warm day - and that's with no cab.
Thank you very much for this post!!!! This is the type of testimony I'm looking for. My pendulum is swinging toward Can Am.

I don't necessarily need AC. But from what I read on their website the Can Am comes with heat/AC standard.

I'd be curious how much you paid for yours and what equipment it has if you wouldn't mind telling me. The guy I talked to has a Limited with only heat, no AC. He said he paid $23K. You can PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks again for an excellent post. I've watched you enough here on TBN to know I can trust what you say. :)

/ Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000 #14  
Thank you very much for this post!!!! This is the type of testimony I'm looking for. My pendulum is swinging toward Can Am.

I don't necessarily need AC. But from what I read on their website the Can Am comes with heat/AC standard.

I'd be curious how much you paid for yours and what equipment it has if you wouldn't mind telling me. The guy I talked to has a Limited with only heat, no AC. He said he paid $23K. You can PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks again for an excellent post. I've watched you enough here on TBN to know I can trust what you say. :)
My Can-am was $23k also. But keep in mind that it was a 2020 model so with what's going on in the country these days the price has no doubt gone way up, if you can find one at all. Dealers around here are having problems getting any stock at all. I've driven by 3 Can-am dealers in the past couple weeks and not one had a Defender in stock. The 2020 model was the last year offered with factory full cab with heat but no AC. That's one of the reasons I bought a 2020 as I also didn't feel the need for AC. 2021 models and up come standard with heat and AC. The only options I have on mine is fender flares and mirrors. One note about options - if you stick with Can-am options they are VERY pricey. But there are tons of aftermarket options.

Not trying to push you into a Can-am. It's just what works best for me, which is 90% exploring the remote Nevada mountains and 10% working around the ranch. If you want to learn more about them there are two Facebook pages - "Can-am Defender Nation" and "Can-am Defender Addiction"; reading the posts on there will tell you a lot. It will also scare you - most of these guys modify their machines extensively, use them hard and then ***** when they break them. The Defender comes stock with 27" tires; if you check those Facebook pages you'll see so many guys that immediately upgrade to 30" and even 40" tires. Guys in Canada and other places that get a lot of snow put tracks on theirs. One of the reason that helped me decide on the Can-am was that if the drivetrain could handle tracks and tall tires, it must be pretty robust. One of the things I don't like about my Can-am and will be changing as soon as the weather warms a bit is the air intakes. Both the engine air intake and belt drive air intake are located just over the engine, under the bed. Not a good location for a Nevada machine - too much silty dust. I will be relocating the air intakes to the top front of the cab.
Personally I would have preferred a Yamaha - I've had excellent luck with Yamaha dirt bikes and quads. Their Ultramatic belt drive is the best in the business - that's why they carry a 10 year warranty on the belt. But they don't offer a factory cab model with windows that roll up and down and that's most important to me.

/ Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000 #15  
View attachment 725910

Polaris just introduced a new electric ranger. Has some pretty cool features but the range only goes up to 80 miles. Has 110 hp!

/ Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000 #16  
I've got few complaints with CTV equipped machines over thousands of miles while towing snow implements. Whatever the case, the system Honda has, may work fine. We have a 6x6 outlander on order which will set us back 19K without any accessoires.. Maybe we just get one of those Japanese mini truck? :LOL:

/ Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000 #17  
My Can-am was $23k also. But keep in mind that it was a 2020 model so with what's going on in the country these days the price has no doubt gone way up, if you can find one at all. Dealers around here are having problems getting any stock at all. I've driven by 3 Can-am dealers in the past couple weeks and not one had a Defender in stock. The 2020 model was the last year offered with factory full cab with heat but no AC. That's one of the reasons I bought a 2020 as I also didn't feel the need for AC. 2021 models and up come standard with heat and AC. The only options I have on mine is fender flares and mirrors. One note about options - if you stick with Can-am options they are VERY pricey. But there are tons of aftermarket options.

Not trying to push you into a Can-am. It's just what works best for me, which is 90% exploring the remote Nevada mountains and 10% working around the ranch. If you want to learn more about them there are two Facebook pages - "Can-am Defender Nation" and "Can-am Defender Addiction"; reading the posts on there will tell you a lot. It will also scare you - most of these guys modify their machines extensively, use them hard and then ***** when they break them. The Defender comes stock with 27" tires; if you check those Facebook pages you'll see so many guys that immediately upgrade to 30" and even 40" tires. Guys in Canada and other places that get a lot of snow put tracks on theirs. One of the reason that helped me decide on the Can-am was that if the drivetrain could handle tracks and tall tires, it must be pretty robust. One of the things I don't like about my Can-am and will be changing as soon as the weather warms a bit is the air intakes. Both the engine air intake and belt drive air intake are located just over the engine, under the bed. Not a good location for a Nevada machine - too much silty dust. I will be relocating the air intakes to the top front of the cab.
Personally I would have preferred a Yamaha - I've had excellent luck with Yamaha dirt bikes and quads. Their Ultramatic belt drive is the best in the business - that's why they carry a 10 year warranty on the belt. But they don't offer a factory cab model with windows that roll up and down and that's most important to me.
Another excellent post.

I will search for a slightly used 2020 model to maybe save some money. With today's situation used product sells high because of no availability for new.

I had a Yamaha Rhino and sold it to my Son. I agree concerning their belt drive system. Same for me concerning cab.

Thank you very much for taking time to post excellent information.

I apologize to the OP for thread hijack.

/ Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000 #18  
A couple of things. The turf mode is awesome if you need it. The heat under the seat has been solved with a small 12v fan. many posts on line to find the parts and locations.

My real reason for posting isn't sxs specific. Check your state to see what is or may be happening in regards to limits or changes about to happen regarding laws or bills be introduced. There is an uprising against these machines with bigger engines and tires. People having no respect for land or property owners have managed to tick off a lot of people. I live in NC where we just recently got the ability to drive on some public roads without a lot of hassle. Others are staring at new laws that will ban certain sized engines, widths and tire sizes. YMMV-literally.

/ Thinking of getting Honda Pioneer 1000
Another excellent post.

I will search for a slightly used 2020 model to maybe save some money. With today's situation used product sells high because of no availability for new.

I had a Yamaha Rhino and sold it to my Son. I agree concerning their belt drive system. Same for me concerning cab.

Thank you very much for taking time to post excellent information.

I apologize to the OP for thread hijack.
no problem..more info is always better