Thoughts on L4150 TLB

/ Thoughts on L4150 TLB
thanks for the replies folks. called to arrange to see the tractor yesterday and it was sold. no matter, i was leery of the hours. but old adage snooze you loose. (maybe?) interesting disc, though, on tlb. thanks

/ Thoughts on L4150 TLB #12  
thanks for the replies folks. called to arrange to see the tractor yesterday and it was sold. no matter, i was leery of the hours. but old adage snooze you loose. (maybe?) interesting disc, though, on tlb. thanks
For 20K and 3400 hours, I think you did well,.... by missing it!
That said....who knows what is what in today's tractor market?

I believe the 251 hour Kubota L48TLB that I bought 22 months ago, could actually be worth as much as $5K more today.
An accidental good investment?

I ain't sellin! She's my baby, an I'll keep'er 'til I croak!
Scary prices every day, on everything, everywhere!

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on L4150 TLB #13  
Kosmo - Don't feel bad for missing it - Babe Ruth had the strike-out record too - he swung at a lot of pitches.

My 2 cents on what to call these tractors: When Kubota entered the US market "compact" utility tractors were the focus. Model-for-model they offered more features than blue or green so market share grew in the '80s. Prices inevitably rose, but their reputation for quality sustained their market position.

Then they offered 2 small rigs with bolted-on backhoe & loader, the B-21 and L35, "ruggedized" for more commercial use, with reinforced frames, thicker hood, shielded valve stems, etc. They were an instant hit. Their 40+hp L3 models were already strong enough for heavier loader and backhoe as removable attachments, but the package was pricey. These units gave rise to the L48 , with bolted loader & subframe backhoe (stronger and cheaper to produce), and the other Lxx Mxx models that have followed.

Like you I've always thought of a "TLB" as the industrial yellow commercial machines DPW's or commercial operators have - where loader and backhoe are massive and not designed to be routinely removable.

BTW I call my L48 "the L48"

Good luck in your search. Dick B.

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on L4150 TLB #14  
My 2 cents on what to call them: When Kubota entered the US market "compact" utility tractors was the focus. Model-for-model their products offered more features than blue or green so market share grew in the '80s. Prices rose, and their reputation for quality sustained their position.

Then they offered 2 small rigs with bolted-on backhoe & loader, the B-21 and L35, "ruggedized" for more commercial use, with reinforced frames, thicker hood, shielded valve stems, etc. They were an instant hit. Their 40+hp L3 models were already strong enough for heavier loader and backhoe as removable attachments, but the package was pricey. These units gave rise to the L48, with bolted loader & backhoe, and the other Lxx Mxx models that have followed.

I'm an old-timer now - I always thought of a "TLB" as the industrial yellow JD, Ford, MF, JCB etc commercial tractors DPW's or commercial operators have - where loader and backhoe are not designed to be routinely removable.

BTW I call my L48 "the L48"
I just call my L48 "the Kubota" because my other two tractors are Fords.
For wording clarification for others: The L48 loader is bolted, but the BH is not.
BTW: I am obviously somewhere East of you in MA., because one cannot travel more Easterly from me, unless in a boat.

Last edited: