Tie rod end separation on 3515r

/ Tie rod end separation on 3515r #1  

subarctic_moose

Tractor
Branson 3515r
Hi all, caught my front right behind a tree while trying to maneuver in some time terrain. Is the fix for this simply throwing on a new tie rod end? I'm guessing this can't really be reconnected easily.

IMG_9607.jpg

/ Tie rod end separation on 3515r #2  
Hello,

Can you take the rubber boot off and take a picture of the that part where the ball seats? So we can try to figure out how these things are held together.

/ Tie rod end separation on 3515r
Hello,

Can you take the rubber boot off and take a picture of the that part where the ball seats? So we can try to figure out how these things are held together.

Here's what it looks like without the boot. I didn't feel any cracks in the housing. Is the socket designed to flex and give somewhat as a preventative measure?

In that case it should be possible to squeeze it back in, but I wonder if the strength would be compromised at that point.

Attachments

• IMG_9611.JPG
    IMG_9611.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9610.JPG
    IMG_9610.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9609.JPG
    IMG_9609.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9608.JPG
    IMG_9608.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 87
   / Tie rod end separation on 3515r #4  
Nope. That needs replaced.

Its compromised. Even if you get it back toghether it wont last

/ Tie rod end separation on 3515r #5  
That looks more like a constant velocity joint separation than a tie rod end failure - BICBW.

From memory ...(I'm old) there was an update/upgrade to tie rods some 15 or so years ago.
SOME old parts may still be available from SOME dealers/distributors, i.e. NOS (new, old stock).
If you have to go all new style it involves a many hundred dollar KIT with new top plates etc.

/ Tie rod end separation on 3515r #6  
That looks more like a constant velocity joint separation than a tie rod end failure - BICBW.

From memory ...(I'm old) there was an update/upgrade to tie rods some 15 or so years ago.
SOME old parts may still be available from SOME dealers/distributors, i.e. NOS (new, old stock).
If you have to go all new style it involves a many hundred dollar KIT with new top plates etc.
Not sure how that looks like a cv separation. It's a steering cylinder tie rod end

/ Tie rod end separation on 3515r #7  
Not sure how that looks like a cv separation. It's a steering cylinder tie rod end
Ooops, my bad.
I've been looking at fwd CARS too much recently and I seem to associate mention of tie rod ends with the OUTER end.

While I'm here and now that I've looked CLOSER at the pics, my comment on newer type tie rods should be ignored - that was on the large frame models.

/ Tie rod end separation on 3515r #8  
Interesting setup, is there a missing part? maybe a couple of tapered wedges?
One side of the cup looks to be slightly deformed.
Was the cup swaged down around the ball after assembly?
If so and there are no missing pieces possibly after reassembly the cup could be peened down
or pressed back to secure the ball in the cup.
I would try that as a last resort if a new one was unavailable.
Or a really last step would be to lay a couple of beads of weld to the inside edge of the cup after assembled.

/ Tie rod end separation on 3515r #9  
Not that I would ever do this...
1. Remove the lock pin and nut on side closest to wheel.
2. Knock shaft loose.
3. Turn steering wheel away from this wheel.
4. There is a small Wedge cast into the front end near the wheel. Use this to hold backup on rod while someone slowly turns steering wheel to pop socket back into place.
5. Reattach nut and lock pin.
6. Re-grease
7. Order replacement parts to have if it breaks again.

Good Luck.