Tie-Rods: Poor Quality

/ Tie-Rods: Poor Quality
With respect to tie-rod lube...

The stock replacement tie-rods came with moly grease in them, albeit not that much though. I was suspicious the originals never had grease and elected to remove the boot to see if the replacements were lubed. Sure enough they did have some grease from the manufacture. Looked like black moly grease.

Back when this first happened, I tracked down the company that made them for Kubota and sent them pictures and a description of my observations hoping this help their engineering team to see real life results from the field. They did respond, but were very defensive at first claiming they were off warranty. Their tone changed when I told them I wasn't looking for replacements and only providing the results thinking their company had a continual improvement mindset. I offered to send them high resolution (professional grade camera and lens) pictures and/or to send the parts back for their own analysis, but they declined.

The replacements are made by the same company as the originals.

Comment about tie rod price: The tire-rods don't even come with the castle nut and cotter pin. That will add another $10 to the price tag. :thumbdown:

/ Tie-Rods: Poor Quality
With respect to tie-rod lube...

The stock replacement tie-rods came with moly grease in them, albeit not that much though. I was suspicious the originals never had grease and elected to remove the boot to see if the replacements were lubed. Sure enough they did have some grease from the manufacture. Looked like black moly grease is used and the spirol spring clip used to hold the boot in place is a real pain to install.

Back when this first happened, I tracked down the company that made them for Kubota and sent them pictures and a description of my observations hoping this help their engineering team to see real life results from the field. They did respond, but were very defensive at first claiming they were off warranty. Their tone changed when I told them I wasn't looking for replacements and only providing the results thinking their company had a continual improvement mindset. I offered to send them high resolution (professional grade camera and lens) pictures and/or to send the parts back for their own analysis, but they declined.

The replacements are made by the same company as the originals.

Comment about tie rod price: The tire-rods don't even come with the castle nut and cotter pin. That will add another $10 to the price tag. :thumbdown:

/ Tie-Rods: Poor Quality #23  
A little grease once in a while will go a long ways in increasing the lifespan.
Thanks for sharing an insightful maintenance project results.

/ Tie-Rods: Poor Quality #24  
I have the same problem now with 750 hours on my L4740 but so far only the LH side is loose. Thanks for the great write up. I had to start another thread to help find this thread. I remembered seeing this one but couldn't find it using the search.

What are your thoughts on putting the fitting in the end cap on top. seems like the grease would go directly where you want it but the cap appears to be quite thin and getting a fitting to hold may be tricky. loads on the ball and socket are radial so the fitting would not be loaded but where you put yours is good also because of the direction of pushing and pulling loads .

from your great pictures I don't really see a way of removing the cap without cutting apart the housing

so how are the new ends holding up, any grease compatability issues??

/ Tie-Rods: Poor Quality #25  
can you take apart the new end from the bottom. example: remove the boot slide the ball out and then somehow get that plastic bushing out without breaking it. Easier said than done.

If that is possible I would try welding a bung for a grease fitting on the cap on top.