Tire chains for CK2610

/ Tire chains for CK2610 #1  

zpilot

Tractor
CK2610
Just purchased a 64" rear facing snow blower for my tractor, looking to get some tire chains. Can I just put chains on the front tires or should I get chains for the rear? Will be used on a asphalt driveway.

/ Tire chains for CK2610 #2  
And we are off again,
the only tire chains that I would recommend are the studded Euro style, Aquiline, TRYGG, OFA
They will provide enough traction on packed snow or ice that you will not spin normally.

/ Tire chains for CK2610
Thank you, not sure what you mean be "we are off again" Care to explain?

/ Tire chains for CK2610 #4  
Every year there are numerous threads on tire chains and much discussion of what's best and how many people don't need chains.

/ Tire chains for CK2610 #5  
I took Lou's advice on the Aquiline Euro style chains. Good advice far as I'm concerned.

/ Tire chains for CK2610 #6  
Do you have any slope on your driveway? My tractor probably wouldn't pull up my 7-8% grade hill on ice with just the fronts chained and a 7' blower on the back. Or it would be spinning a lot. If you only do one end, usually its the rears, and you can steer with the brakes.
I also just stud my tires with shorter hex head screws if we get enough ice to bother with it, works quite well and is pretty fast to zip in with the drill, then I do all 4 just for reducing spinning and sliding.

/ Tire chains for CK2610
Thanks for the screw suggestion I never considered that although it brought back a 60 year old memory we used to do that to out dirt bike tires in the winter to go tear up frozen ponds, those were the days. What length screws do you use?

/ Tire chains for CK2610 #8  
Short enough to not reach the air.:LOL:
Sorry to say that to a new member. Welcome to TBN
There's lots of different needs and solutions for winter traction. I do run screw in studs but also have the style Lou mentioned for the apocalyptic "events". Tire chain clearance is an important thing to check for before purchasing.
If you do a little searching you'll see what Lou's talking about. It repeats every year. 👍

/ Tire chains for CK2610 #9  
Thanks for the screw suggestion I never considered that although it brought back a 60 year old memory we used to do that to out dirt bike tires in the winter to go tear up frozen ponds, those were the days. What length screws do you use?
I think ~3/4" in the rears and smaller in the fronts, well short of the lug depth anyways! I wouldn't use these in the woods in the winter as spinning and gripping one on a root would probably rip it out, but they seem to stay in very well on gravel and ice. It's best to put them in when the tire is warmer but I have put them in, in -5C as the driveway was pure ice!
I'm still using the same screws since 2012, as they hardly wear, as I think these are self tappers and so are hardened a bit. These are the rear ones. I just set the cordless drill to a low torque on the slip clutch and zip them in.
This spring I missed a couple taking them out and did a couple miles of paved road and it still didn't seem to wear them much at all?
In 4wd I can drive on pure ice on a 7-8% grade, even while dragging my Neon to the top of the hill with the parking brake on...:LOL:
cheap studs2.jpg
cheap studs.jpg