Tired and true

/ Tired and true #1  

LBrown59

Super Star Member
First organized permanent settlement in the northw
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500
Why is it that the tire COs make tires in only one tread type for certain rim diameters and widths?
One example is The 6'' by 4.50'' wide rims.

/ Tired and true #2  
Why? Just a guess, of course, but I'd think there's just not a big enough market for those sizes to be worth the cost of additional molds and equipment to make additiional tread types.

/ Tired and true
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why? Just a guess, of course, but I'd think there's just not a big enough market for those sizes to be worth the cost of additional molds and equipment to make additiional tread types. )</font>
==========
From what I've seen (Again using the 6''x 4.50'' wide rim) they will make a different tread but change tire size so then it won't fit the rim.
They change the tire width and or the tire diameter.
Why not just use the same casing and change only the tread type?

/ Tired and true #4  
I can't do anything more than make a guess either. But you can bet it has to do with perceived economics. They are only going to manufacture what they think they can make a profit from. Apparently they chose the one style for each size that they think will most likely sell the best.

/ Tired and true #5  
the tire molds will only accommodate a certain size carcass to bond the tire tread onto. They can't change the size of the tire without changing the mold. Manufacturing molds for different tread patterns are expensive, and if there is not enough demand, then they don't make it. In fact, many of the tires are made in the same factory with only the name on the side of the tire being changed. The only thing that can change on a mold is the carcass in relationship to being 2 ply or 4 / 6 / 8 ply rating. This is another problem for small tractors, the front tire ply rating isn't heavy enough in certain instances. I can load the loader on my BX22 to the point that the front tires will look like they are ready to go flat. I have often worried about the tire blowing off the rim on turns. This is one reason that foam filling of the front tires on small tires is so popular in industry. You can't blow out a foam filled tire. I also believe that the side wall on the bar tires is stiffer than the turf tire. Turf tires are designed to be easier on the turf and give a better ride. The front turf tires on the BX are the same as found on most golf carts. A few years ago, there was one manufacturer that was making a 8 ply front tire, but the cost was prohibitive. I purchased a pair for the front of my Bolens HT20 that had a front loader. I only wish that I had removed them before selling it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif