Too much oil

/ Too much oil #1  

Justin1970

Tractor
Yanmar
I recently purchased a Mahindra emax 22 with 55 hours on it from a private party and everything was going good with it. However, when I would operate it on my property I noticed fresh oil on the PTO cover. I would wipe it off and the next time I would run it after I parked it I would see it again. At the time I didn't know the little candy cane filler cap was manufactured with an air hole in it. After I learned that I discovered the oil was spilling out of that hole. I open up filler neck and observe the oil is right to the brim. Long story somewhat short, the guy who owned it before me put probably 3 extra gallons of fluid in this thing. I went to Mahindra to grab a part and brought it up to a parts guy and he said it was pretty common. I'm just curious what you guys think the reasoning would be for this? Why would someone over fill it past the recommended level. If you zoom in, after draining this, the fluid is still slightly about the red dot.
IMG_20220813_162927.jpg
Maybe on new tractor's with new owners they think it's low on fluid because the fresh fluid is hard to see?

/ Too much oil #4  
be glad it wasn't the engine oil. understand significant overfilling of a diesel engine could be more problematic than a gasser engine. can't confirm though. & good the overfill was weeping out the vent & not a blown seal.
thanks to your attention to detail, glad all seems well.

/ Too much oil #5  
The 3 point and loader cylinders take up fluid depending on their position. Also tractor being level affects the sight glass level. All could be a reason for overfilling.

Biggest issue with over fill is aeration of the oil in either engine and transmission. Air doesn't lubricate well in a bearing designed for oil.

/ Too much oil #7  
If the only thing someone has ever changed the oil in is a push mower where you fill the oil to the top of the filler neck, I can see them making this mistake. Hopefully they didn’t do the same for the engine, front axle, etc. As the saying goes- RTFM!