Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More...

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #31  
Re: Tractor Lust...VS...I Don\'t Need More...

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Think I got it about right.

53ac in hardwoods with a hole in it for the house. Small garden, lots of landscaping to do. I heat with firewood, so moving logs is a must. I dont have a level spot on my property that a machine didnt make. I have a active forest management plan that includes removing invasive plants and erosion control.

I havent found anything I cant do, sometimes I would like to have a bigger machine to do it faster. Other times I have to go slow because a smaller unit would tear less up. I dont believe in overpowering, just getting enough. To much machine can be as bad as to little.

I think in buying stuff (guys toys) there are three considerations.
What you need, an ABSOLUTE minimum, put this at the top of the page. This one takes the research. Know which of the bare bones units can do the work on your ground with the minimum of hp and the min of implements. Do you really need that toothbar???

What you want, think pie in the sky, put this at the very bottom of the page. here is where HST , T&T grapples and all of the goodies come in.

What you can afford. This will fall in between those every time. Figure out what goodies or additional power you can add to the minimum and stay within budget.

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #32  

My foray into the CUT world with a new L4300 has proved that the 'basic tractor' (but everything WORKS /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!) approach is right for me. Would like an honest-to-gosh NEW Ag tractor for my 52 acres once I get the hayfields running again. Something with some weight. Will have to restore & sell one of my old Fords and maybe the JD40 before I'll have room for one though. Johnnypopper nostalgia doesn't hold a candle to modern small diesel capability.

So what do I fantasize about before dropping off to sleep each night? Oh M6800s & M5700s (with cabs!) and TN60As but happy to consider a JD5203 or a TT55 if funds are tight. Heck if I had to do it today, the Farmtrac 555 looks near perfect...it looks like a Ford /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif!
Bob

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #33  

I have absolutely no need for anything larger than my BX, yet I am reduced to drooling and dreaming everytime I visit the dealership to pick up parts. I would love a restored John Deere from the 50's or 60's, around 30-50 hp. Have even justified it to myslef by thinking that I could use it on my brother's 90 acres (never mind that he has a MF 165 and a Kubota B2400, a Case 650 bulldozer and a Case 580M backhoe /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).
Will

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #34  

I want more...

My B8200HST is just fine in size. But, now that I have more expierience, I wish I had more PTO power. I am fine with the drawbar power. But, my 19hp, 16hp on the PTO is just on the shy side.

I am on 5 acres, but help my my Dad's 7 acres too. Mine is light grass; his is thick heavy stuff.

Otherwise, the loader, scraper, tnt, ect work just fine.

The B8200 is the great-grandad to the B2710. It is built like a tank. It would be nice to have that bigger hp for running the mower and stuff though.

I still want an ASV RC30 too, but that is more for work kinda stuff. That little track-loader(kinda like a small skidsteer) sure is great for moving lots of dirt. It can handle all the tools my B8200 will handle too...

The Farmall, well, two 1st places in the local Christmas parade over the last four years, well, she does just fine. Those Cub Scouts look great on the float she tows each year /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #35  

Sounds good Mith, go for it !!!
Cheers!

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #36  

===========
<font color="brown"> ============= >>
I could use a 16 foot long by 7 foot wide trailer to haul the B X 23 on.
Any thing shorter than 16 feet isn't long enough to transport a BX23 with FEL & BH attached as the BX23 with these attachments installed is 15 feet long.
Need the 7 foot width for plenty of room to walk around the MMM.
To do that I need a bigger 4x4 truck to tow the trailer with.
After I get the bigger pick up I would need a snow blade and a dump bed for it.
Will keep my 6x8 utility trailer (pulling it with my 86 Dodge D 50 compact pick up) for hauling smaller stuff and transporting the Bolens garden tractor and the Wards lawn tractor.
A set of bucket forks for the BX23 would be nice.
I could also use an up graded Lawn and Garden tractor to replace the OLE BOLENS.
If it wasn't for the pocket book I don't think there would be any end to it.LOL
</font> )</font>
PS forgot I need a 4 bay pole barn to keep Sand gravel slag and dirt in.

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #37  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> I see now I was suffering from Tractor Lust. </font> )</font>

You aren't having impure thoughts about your tractor are you ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif You have a silky seat cover with fringe on your tractor seat ? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #38  

It's sort of like getting to know a beautiful woman. You start to notice little flaws, then you either begin to love those flaws or move on. Sometimes I want more power, never wanted less power but once wanted smaller size, but overall for my 30 acres, I love my L3130.

What I lust for is attachments. A PHD, chipper, backhoe, forks, toothbar, tiller, trencher, sprayer, rake and I don't know what else. mmmmm baby

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #39  

last year we called it Tractoritis. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
This year the word it is Lust /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I don't know where this is headed but I am sure I have it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tractor Lust...VS...I Don't Need More... #40  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What I lust for is attachments. A PHD, chipper, backhoe, forks, toothbar, tiller, trencher, sprayer, rake and I don't know what else. mmmmm baby

)</font>
Now that I can relate to! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Moon of Ohio