Trailer repairs

/ Trailer repairs #21  
I'll add one other thing. In my personal experience, at least 'round here, the biggest culprit of trailer brakes are taking it out in the fields. I've seen more brake parts broken off by hitting a rock, stick, dead critters, dirt mound etc while driving through a field to drop off/ pick up "something".

Reminds me of the spare tire holders that are "factory installed" - regardless what side they are installed on, have you ever noticed how they are almost always on the wrong side when you try to load something! 🙂😉🙃
Speaking of spare tire carriers....

I have noticed on some trailers its just a bracket with a hole. And most people put a through bolt and nut on it. Which does no good when you need a backup wrench to break it loose in the field, and all you have is a tire iron.

Take the time to weld a wheel stud to the spare tire mount with a nut that is the same size as your wheel lugs. Then all you need to free the spare is your tire iron.

/ Trailer repairs #22  
I wanted to go with disk brakes. (requires an electric actuator pumping hydraulic to disks.) But it is too rich for me.

I know a lot of guys (me included) want to upgrade their trailer brakes, but I have run 3 different heavy tandem goosenecks, all with standard Dexter electric brakes and loaded these trailer to their max capacity.
Never had a moments trouble with them and nothing other than routine maintenance.

I remember when trailer brakes weren’t that good. I dont know if they’ve improved them, but my last 12-15 years has been almost perfect, despite heavy loads and demanding conditions.

/ Trailer repairs #23  
I wanted to go with disk brakes. (requires an electric actuator pumping hydraulic to disks.) But it is too rich for me.
I have converted two trailers and consider the cost well worth it. My PJ 32' hydraulic dovetail trailer came from the factory with electric/hydraulic disc brakes and I would not buy any new trailer without them. In fact for the relatively small price difference over magnet brakes when new I wish they would just outlaw magnets and make the builders use disc systems for any trailer grossing more than 10K.

It seemed like the electric/magnet drum brakes are always needing some kind of maintenance, either a broken wire or adjustment, and they tend to fade pretty quickly as well.

/ Trailer repairs #24  
I have never had an issue with magnets/drums.

Being able to lock up all wheels with a trailer loaded to capacity.....how can you get any more braking than that?

I have looked into disc's just cause I was curious. They are expensive, and online only. None of the trailer shops or dealers around here even stock parts for discs. But I can go to about a dozen places within 30 miles and get everything I could ever need for whatever size drums I have.

/ Trailer repairs #25  
None of the trailer shops or dealers around here even stock parts
The pads are available at any auto parts store and it is highly unlikely you will need any other part.

I'm glad you are happy with the drum brakes, but I was not so I changed them. When I'm towing a trailer that weighs 22,000 pounds I want the best brakes I can get.

There is a reason modern cars and trucks do not use drum brakes. Plain and simple they do not work as well and cost more to maintain.

Locking the brakes is not a good indicator of how well the brakes work since brakes work by converting mechanical energy to heat energy by creating friction between the rotating drum/rotor and the shoes/pads. No rotation means there is no friction and the only heat energy being created is the rubber burning off of the locked wheel.

Locked brakes indicate the brakes are too large for the load and will increase stopping distance while reducing control. The real test is how well the brakes work when carrying the maximum weight capacity of the trailer.

/ Trailer repairs #26  
The pads are available at any auto parts store and it is highly unlikely you will need any other part.

I'm glad you are happy with the drum brakes, but I was not so I changed them. When I'm towing a trailer that weighs 22,000 pounds I want the best brakes I can get.

There is a reason modern cars and trucks do not use drum brakes. Plain and simple they do not work as well and cost more to maintain.

Locking the brakes is not a good indicator of how well the brakes work since brakes work by converting mechanical energy to heat energy by creating friction between the rotating drum/rotor and the shoes/pads. No rotation means there is no friction and the only heat energy being created is the rubber burning off of the locked wheel.

Locked brakes indicate the brakes are too large for the load and will increase stopping distance while reducing control. The real test is how well the brakes work when carrying the maximum weight capacity of the trailer.
Obviously locked wheels are less than ideal.

But when carrying a load at rated capacity, if the brakes are capable of locking the wheels....they are capable of less. Thats what a good brake controller is for.

I dont doubt that disc brakes are great. But drums work just fine also. And are more practical for 99% of people towing a trailer.

If drums were so terrible, 40ton semi trailers would have disc brakes.

/ Trailer repairs
The brakes were not in good shape with wires broken from the magnets and springs corroded and some broken so decided to get new brakes and replaced them at all 4 wheels. Turned out really well and works great now. For 100 dollars per wheel it does not make much sense to repair them.