Trash Can on a Pallet?

/ Trash Can on a Pallet? #11  
A set of Edge Tamers with the added "Trash Tamers" would allow you to pick up the wheelie bin type trash cans with your FEL and bucket. Then you could carry them down to the road and set them down.

Link: R2 Manufacturing - Home Of The Edge Tamer

Where I'm at now, my trash guy pulls in (with my permission) and turns around in my driveway to pickup my wheeled bin and then drives out again. If I move to a location where the trash truck can't or won't make it down my driveway, I'll be adding these Trash Tamers to my Edge Tamers.

/ Trash Can on a Pallet? #12  
A cheaper way is doing the curb side weekly pickup using a smaller, plastic, bin on wheels. Dragging this down my driveway weekly would be a chore. I am uncertain about lifting it into the bed of my pickup as well due to weight and height of my bed.

Here, we use the plastic roll around cart with wheels the county furnishes and charges $15/mo for weekly pickup at the street. It's the same cart as shown in the video above.

The street is about 1/3 mile from the house, so I use the tractor forks to simply pick it up at the house and take to the street, then reverse when empty. I leave my forks positioned (all the time unless for some reason I need them out to max width) so they barely clear the cart sides near the wheel section, and as I raise them, the cart sides taper outward slightly and the forks have no problem holding the cart wedged between the forks. Even if the forks are slightly too wide apart, there is a lip on the cart top where the lid closes that doesn't let the cart slid thru the forks.

Just set it down at the street, lower the forks and back away. Nothing complicated about it.

/ Trash Can on a Pallet? #13  
I live out in the country and stock pile my trash in cans in the garage. I would certainly do it outside, but lesson learned when a bear drug a full can though the forest.
I am tired of the smell and doing "dump runs" every 6-8 weeks. Not to mention the amount of space the cans take up.

One of my neighbors down the road has a metal trash bin, from our waste management, that gets dumped every two weeks. He keeps his down on the road and complains about people dumping their trash in his dumpster. Other neighbors use the curb pick-up style trash cans, but they have short driveways.

If I can swing it, I would like to get a metal dumpster and leave it by my garage, pick it up with the forks on my tractor to take it down to the road for pickup every two weeks. According to my neighbor who has a metal dumpster, the bears seem to leave it alone. However, I am concerned about the cost of doing this.

A cheaper way is doing the curb side weekly pickup using a smaller, plastic, bin on wheels. Dragging this down my driveway weekly would be a chore. I am uncertain about lifting it into the bed of my pickup as well due to weight and height of my bed.

My thought is, if I cannot get a metal dumpster, to somehow mount the plastic bin (without drilling holes in it) to a pallet and use the forks on the front of my tractor to move the bin up and down my driveway weekly. My issue is figuring out a way, without having a pallet OR the bin, to make this happen. I would hate to order this bin and find out that there is not real way of doing this.

Have you attempted this before? Can it be done? How can it be done? Please let me know.

I have 2 30 gallon rubber/plastic type trash cans in the garage and make a dump run about every 2 weeks, and for the smell control (only needed in the summer) I have a large spray bottle filled with a pine sol/water solution (about 20%/80%) and spray a few skirts into the can every time I put some trash into the cans, this has worked well for the last 11 years.

At our gun club we have a large metal dumpster with metal doors on top that are chained and padlocked close with a small latched door in one of the top dumpster doors, and mostly summer campers stuff their food garbage in the dumpster.

2 years ago a bear tipped the dumpster on it's side and ripped open both doors and then had a picnic party until FWP trapped the bear, so unless the dumpster is "bear-resistant" from the testing at the "West Yellowstone's Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center", good luck.

KC

Last edited:
   / Trash Can on a Pallet? #14  
Anchoring the cans to a pallet permanently will probably not fly with the pickup trucks. The pallet would probably interfere with the handling and dumping mechanism on Waste Managements trucks. I used a lawn cart behind my mower to move to the road. Held two cans nicely. One garbage and one re-cycle each week.

Ron

/ Trash Can on a Pallet? #15  
I added sides to some free pallets for firewood. Same concept as JoeyD...bungee them in.
IMG_3282.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 122
   / Trash Can on a Pallet? #17  
Last edited:
   / Trash Can on a Pallet? #18  
Would a regular Carry-All type thing work for you to get the cans up and down the drive ? Can roll them on then lift to move.

CarryAll2.JPG

gg