Tree eater

/ Tree eater #12  
Link works for me.
I've seen that before and I imagined that it was for "biomass" fuel for generating electricity (probably Europe) and that was a plantation type situation with specific crop and machinery.

/ Tree eater #13  
Try posting a pic instead of a link to a site someone has to subscribe to. Screw the instagram and facebook links
Screenshot 2024-04-18 9.40.20 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 9.41.41 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 9.41.55 AM.png

/ Tree eater #15  
Looks like they are chipping for paper to me.
Can they get the clean long grain chips to make paper with that process?

Around here the paper chips make very distinct wafers about 1 1/2" square, with almost no bark. Very distinct from hog fuel.

However, there are many uses for ground wood from landscaping to briquettes. Also potting and plating mixes. There is also a vibrant market for wood stove pellets, and an export business of mowing US forests to send "renewable" stove pellets to Europe.

/ Tree eater #16  
Can they get the clean long grain chips to make paper with that process?

Around here the paper chips make very distinct wafers about 1 1/2" square, with almost no bark. Very distinct from hog fuel.

However, there are many uses for ground wood from landscaping to briquettes. Also potting and plating mixes. There is also a vibrant market for wood stove pellets, and an export business of mowing US forests to send "renewable" stove pellets to Europe.
I know little about paper chips but do see chip truck/trailers on the road all the time. I do know the chips must be clean as you say. Our buddy was a chem engineer at a paper mill and found hair in irollswhich was a no-no. They figured out when employees checked the run they lifted a hatch to look in, hair was occasionally falling off there arms. This mill made glossy magazine paper.

Last edited:
   / Tree eater #17  
I'll see if I can find a pile of spilled paper chips for a photo. They don't seem to be spilling as much now as they used to spill, so it might take some hunting.

It doesn't mean they use the same chips everywhere. In the past I got some really bad cardboard packaging, maybe from India.

Ahhh, this is from Wikipedia on "Wood Chips" which I think is probably clean enough for paper.

1599px-Woodchip.jpg

Of course that doesn't mean other process wouldn't be used elsewhere.

I just don't think that forestry shredder is making these, unless they have an offsite sorter that we're not seeing.

Last edited: