Tree Roots Heaving

/ Tree Roots Heaving #1  

Hysyde

Gold Member
Eastern Ontario, Canada (South of Ottawa)
What is the best way to deal with roots heaving in your yard?

The attached picture doesn't quite show it, but this large root from a spruce tree is now protruding quite a bit. It's received a bit of trimming over the last few years courtesy of my mower. I'm guessing it's a mixture of frost heaving and maybe some compaction around it.

I could add some soil around it, but to completely cover it up would really mess up the grade.

I don't believe cutting such a large root as this is feasible given the damage possible to the tree?

How do the pros deal with these issues?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2020-04-04 004 (1280x960).jpg
    2020-04-04 004 (1280x960).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
   / Tree Roots Heaving #2  
NOT a pro I would cut it back near the tree base and rip it out then fill in the mess with loam.........

/ Tree Roots Heaving #3  
The root is pretty chopped up already. Not sure if it's doing much for the tree. There are plenty of other roots going in other directions, I personally don't think this would harm the tree much. I would get an old ax, sharpen it, and start chopping... pull it out and fill with dirt. :2cents:

/ Tree Roots Heaving
The root is pretty chopped up already. Not sure if it's doing much for the tree. There are plenty of other roots going in other directions, I personally don't think this would harm the tree much. I would get an old ax, sharpen it, and start chopping... pull it out and fill with dirt. :2cents:
I'm not a tree expert, but I thought roots could take a fair bit of abuse but still function. But you're right, it may be a bit of a blow to the tree, but one that has a high probability of survival.

/ Tree Roots Heaving #5  
Chop it out!---I do it all the time and have yet to kill a tree!