Tym 353 electrical issues agsin

/ Tym 353 electrical issues agsin #1  

gkeller73

Tractor
tym/353hst
Hey guys. Back again. Experienced another bad starter and clicky clicky when trying to start with all relays in front buzzing and starter clicking. Was about to go buy an brand new John Deere or Kubota. Really tired of the Korean made lemon I bought. So this time I bought a new starter, 3 relays and 4 glow plugs. The previous 4 glow plugs were bad. I used a ohm meter to test them and the old jumper cables to the glow plug trick. Installed the new plugs, starter , and the relays and whala. No starti starti GI. So getting madder and madder and making a couple trips to the other dealerships over this last week I decided to revisit the old 353 hst today. I bench tested the starter and it worked so I reinstalled it again and started looking at the battery. I noticed some corrosion on the negative ground battery cable and also on the positive battery cable . The positive battery cable had some corrosion next to terminal were the cable is crimped. I started to inspect it and it came right out of the terminal. I proceeded to clean it and attempted to re-crimp it. After doing so I tried starting it and just heard clicking. I then remembered I had 2 new battery cables at home. I went and picked them up and brought back to shop. I Noticed the new cables were really long so I thought maybe I would relocated the negetive. Instead of attaching it to the bolt under the hood up front I actually attached it to the engine block pick up point bolt towards the rear of the engine above the fuel pump, engine stop switch. I Did this as I had remembered older vehicles had ground straps and sometimes negative battery cables bolted right to the engine. After hooking it up I went a did the same for the positive cable. I went from the positive terminal to the starter as the old one and sighed and said ok. When I turned key to the left to initiate glow plugs and immediately to the right I did not hear any buzzing and after a few seconds the start relay clicked and i started it and it fired right up. Wow I was happier than a pig in *****. For many months I have had to use ether to get it going. So long story short. I would highly recommend repositioning the ground battery cable directly to the motor and replace both battery cables. Cause even though they may look ok there is corrosion build up that you may not see. And if the circuit is not prooerly grounded it makes all the difference in the world. I wish I did this 2 years ago. Hope this can benefit someone with a tym 353 or any tractor having electrical issues.

/ Tym 353 electrical issues agsin #2  
Glad you got it figured out, lots and lots of problems caused by ground problems through out the years on many vehicles.

/ Tym 353 electrical issues agsin #3  
Yes ground issues pop up now and then on all brands of tractors. My Ford 1920 had one. Cleaned it up and all is good.