Understanding weight for traction

/ Understanding weight for traction
Do you know how to engage the differential lock pedal with your heel?
I do now! One of the first things I did after I bought the tractor was to buy a Ford shop manual. I quickly realized this was more about repair and what I needed was the operators manual. To learn more about the how to/and where it is located.

So while the tractor is being serviced I have been catching up on my reading! I actually did not realize their was a differential lock pedal. Now I know. Thanks!

/ Understanding weight for traction #12  
Tire weight has less negative effect on the tractor than three point weight from a wear prospective.

How so? I use loaded tires, but they don’t unload weight off the front axle like counterweight on the 3 point hitch does.

/ Understanding weight for traction
Tire weight has less negative effect on the tractor than three point weight from a wear prospective.
I can see that theroy!

I am just out of pocket more money than I thought I was going to be. Finding a decent used tractor cost me more than I was expecting. So new tires are going to have to go on the back burner for a while! I haven't a clue what a set of new tires would cost but like everything else these days I am sure they ain't cheap!!

The idea of a good box blade is appealing though!! Between a back grade on the bucket and a good box blade I use to be able to level up some ground!!
How so? I use loaded tires, but they don’t unload weight off the front axle like counterweight on the 3 point hitch does.
Coby I think what he is talking about is the weight on a 3 point hitch is constantly wearing the 3 point hitch. I have seen some wore out 3 point hitches and in fact the one on this tractor definately needs some maintenance!!

Anyway I have to get off of here and call the shop I have working on my tractor and see if they want two arms and a leg, or if just a leg will do!! LOL

/ Understanding weight for traction #14  
Keep reading here! Search "ballast" and frontend loader work.

One thing to keep in mind, as you add traction and weight, you will significantly increase your tractors ability to break the loader. Digging force will increase as well as pulling forces. A gentle touch will be needed.

/ Understanding weight for traction #15  
I bought a new to me tractor recently. A New Holland 3939 w/Ford 7310 loader. I used it a bit and decided I needed to get it serviced. As the hours has quit, and all I knew was the oil was black as a moonless night!!

Anyway when I pushed and dug out a stump at my daughters house with it I realized I was lacking traction! I dug down under the stump and tripped it out of the ground. I got the stump in the bucket and could not get the tractor to back out of the hole with the stump in the bucket. She just wanted to just spin. One thing I had another root from a nearby tree I didn't want to take out. And everytime I would back up to that root it was presenting a hang up and the one tire would begin to spin. However nothing I tried was working. So could not get it to back out of the hole with the stump no matter what I tried! Ended up dumping the stump out on the other side of the hole I had dug. Then I was able to use the bucket to assist me in backing up past the root that was casuing the tractor to spin, and she climbed backward out of the hole. I back filled and then picked up the stump and put it on the burn pile!!

So I mentioned this to the guy who is servicing the tractor and he said. "You need to fill those back tires with water and antifreeze! So I have been doing some reading since I am new to the site and I see talk about a new type of antifreeze. So looking for some advice on filling the tires.

Now just to throw this out there. I grew up in a small town in Nebraska. The town had a tractor they often used this tractor for maintenance on the towns roads. It was an N8 Ford or it could have been a Jubile. Anyway the tractor had what I think was probably a homemade front end loader. They used a half of A 50GAL. drum filled with concrete. It hung from the 3 point hitch system. I would suppose for two purposes,conter weight for the loader and rear weight for traction when loading the bucket.

So after throwing that out there about the concrete counter weight from the 3 point hitch. Would that be an option for weighting the rear of my 3930 NH?? One reason I am thinking along those lines it the tires on the tractor now have some dry rot! Nothing extremely bad but I would be hesitant to break the tires down to add a tube, without putting on a new set of tires! At present I don't really want to spring for new tires!

I know they make weights that mount to the rear tires but would the concrete counter weight work!! So I am looking forward to some discussion on this subject!

It looks like your problem there is you got hung up on a root. Even if you were properly ballasted, if you were hung up on something stout enough that you can't move it or break it, you will spin your tires. Once you got free of the root using the loader, you were able to back up just fine from what you wrote.

Ideal weight distribution for a 2WD tractor is 30% front, 70% rear. You can use fluid in the tires, iron weights on the wheels, weight on the 3 point hitch, or a combination of these.

If you have tubeless tires, a sane option to fill tires is just to have the tire shop pump in methanol and water. It is inexpensive, won't freeze if there is the proper concentration of methanol and you're not in the Arctic, it's not messy, and it's not particularly corrosive. The con is that it's a few pounds lighter per gallon than beet juice or calcium chloride. You will get roughly 700 pounds between the two rear tires with methanol and water. That would be roughly 900 pounds with the heavier fluids. I have methanol and water in my tires and it is what pretty much everybody uses around here in utility sized and larger tractors and what the tire shops have in 300 gallon totes in the back.

A 55 gallon drum filled with concrete will weigh roughly 1200 pounds. That would be a perfectly sane thing to use as counterweight, many people have done this. You can also use anything else heavy hanging off of the 3 point such as an implement.

Iron wheel weights for a 28" wheel are generally in the 300-500 pound per wheel range and cost about $1/lb. This is a LOT more expensive per pound than fluid in tires or concrete weight on the 3 point hitch.

Your loader's manual will have required minimum counterweight, and your tractor's manual will have the maximum allowable axle loads. You will want to ballast somewhere between the two figures.

Last edited:
   / Understanding weight for traction #16  

Dead weight and live weight. One increases the axle load. The other has no effect. Loaded tires do not put weight on the axles.

/ Understanding weight for traction #17  
I have 1550# of RimGuard in the rear tires on my M6040. This is NOT to counterballance the FEL and grapple. It's to keep my "feet" on the ground and for added traction.

I have a 1050# Rhino rear blade on the 3-point. THIS is to counterballance the FEL and grapple. And it does help with traction.

I would not fool around with fluid in your rear tires. You could likely cause unforseen problems with the old, weathered tires.

Put something on the 3-point. Preferably an implement that you will use. Box blade, rear blade, flail mower - etc. OR check any of the numerous threads here on TBN. There are loads of brilliant ideas for adding weight to the 3-point.