Weights and Tire Chains

/ Weights and Tire Chains #1  

timkins

Tractor
Cub Cadet Model 2542
I have an older GT2542 that I put a snow blower on for winter. I am a big guy with my weight close to 240 lbs. In addition to the snow blower I have 50 lb weights bolted to each rear wheel and a weight bar with 75 lbs of weight bolted to the rear and me on the tractor. I then put tire chains on the rear wheels. My driveway has a slight incline and there are times the tractor just sits and spins even with the chains,me and weights on it. Would it be advisable to reduce the tire pressure in the rear wheels for more traction?

/ Weights and Tire Chains #2  
Other may have more insight, but I think most people reduce tire pressure to increase contact area of the tire with ground. With more contact area more total force can be applied to the ground before the tire breaks free and spins.

...but with chains....?

I'm not sure if this principle applies.
What type of chains?
I suppose lowering pressure gets a little more width if chain in contact with ground, but enough to make a difference? Will lowering pressure get more cross links to be in contact with ground? Maybe.

Are you spinning on snow or ice? Hard pack snow? Does it dig down to bare driveway?
I assume snowblower is mounted on front. When lowered does all the weight come off front of tractor and rest on snow blower's skid shoes? If not, this reduces traction at back wheels of tractor.

/ Weights and Tire Chains
Tires are OK when going down the slight incline of the driveway. When I start beck up I get about half way and they start to spin and go right down to the driveway. Mostly fresh snow. We had a 5 inch snow fall after freezing rain base. Had to do the driveway twice, one for the 5" of snow and a second time for the base. If I get a running start this does not happen. When lowered (yes it is front mounted) no the weight does not come off the front as the skids ride about 1/2" off the driveway BUT the scraper bar on the bottom of the blower rides on the surface.

/ Weights and Tire Chains #4  
Tires are OK when going down the slight incline of the driveway. When I start beck up I get about half way and they start to spin and go right down to the driveway. Mostly fresh snow. We had a 5 inch snow fall after freezing rain base. Had to do the driveway twice, one for the 5" of snow and a second time for the base. If I get a running start this does not happen. When lowered (yes it is front mounted) no the weight does not come off the front as the skids ride about 1/2" off the driveway BUT the scraper bar on the bottom of the blower rides on the surface.

Hmmm....
It seems like the weight is off the front (maximizing the rear tire contact "weight" & traction), but the blower's weight is on the scraper bar instead of the shoes.
This probably gives you the cleanest driveway, but I wonder if this makes pushing the snowblower a lot harder than if it was sliding on the shoes, thus you get more wheel spin?

/ Weights and Tire Chains #5  
Do you have a problem just driving the tractor up the hill without the blower down?

I can't imagine that a blower would push very hard. Coby's post just above may have a point. You should have the blower sliding on the skids.

Also you may want to try without the chains. If your driveway is paved, chains provide very poor traction on a paved surface.

Richard

No problem if there is no snow driving up and down the driveway. Have tried without the chains previously and this did not work at all. Had not thought of the weight being on just the scraper. Will try setting the shoes and see how that works. Thank you for that suggestion.

/ Weights and Tire Chains #7  
No problem if there is no snow driving up and down the driveway. Have tried without the chains previously and this did not work at all. Had not thought of the weight being on just the scraper. Will try setting the shoes and see how that works. Thank you for that suggestion.

As you may know, it's easiest to set the shoes by placing a couple little shims under the scraper edge, one on each side, and lowering the blower onto them. Then just adjust the shoes down to the floor. The scraper will now ride above the pavement at the same height of the shims you used.

Hmmm....
It seems like the weight is off the front (maximizing the rear tire contact "weight" & traction), but the blower's weight is on the scraper bar instead of the shoes.
This probably gives you the cleanest driveway, but I wonder if this makes pushing the snowblower a lot harder than if it was sliding on the shoes, thus you get more wheel spin?
The raising the shoes appears to have worked. The last snow we got the tractor seemed to clear the driveway much easier. Thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes you are too close to the solution and need a swift kick in the pants. Again thank you.