Welding a broken yoke back onto a 3PT tilt cylinder

/ Welding a broken yoke back onto a 3PT tilt cylinder #11  
That's not going to hurt the cylinder. The black oxide coating on the cylinder is ferris and so there is no arcing. My failed ground was because I sprayed the cylinder with the anti-splatter spray off camera.

Which brings up a point: is there a reason why every person I've met who welds talks like a primadonna about welding when in most cases welding is the welder's prerogative? My first two welds undercut because my settings were to hot. My buddy, Other Eric, was questioning why I was allowing the cylinder to cool rather than go and get a wet rag or use heat putty and knock out the whole thing at once.

Sheesh, people.
There are a lot more welding critics than there are welders. I could give you some tips as I taught welding in the Army and was a certified welder in the Ironworkers union and Machinists Union. I did not want to offer unsolicited advice that may not be understood.

One thing I have learned working with highly qualified welders over the years is that there are many different styles and process's.
That is why when doing structural welding, you don't just certify the welder, you certify the process also.

/ Welding a broken yoke back onto a 3PT tilt cylinder
I was just stating what I wouldn't do.......but.....you can do, and will do, what you want. It's your cylinder.

Great. How would you fixture the cylinder in my garage with my tools? Going to hang the ground on the yoke that you’re having a hard time holding in place? Go on, tell me. LOL

There are a lot more welding critics than there are welders. I could give you some tips as I taught welding in the Army and was a certified welder in the Ironworkers union and Machinists Union. I did not want to offer unsolicited advice that may not be understood.

One thing I have learned working with highly qualified welders over the years is that there are many different styles and process's.
That is why when doing structural welding, you don't just certify the welder, you certify the process also.
I'm always learning and at my age, forgetting. As I said in this video after being way, way too hot and undercutting, I had much to learn about the 90/10 pulsed spray process with this new welder I have.

/ Welding a broken yoke back onto a 3PT tilt cylinder #14  
Good job repairing the cylinder. (y)

Just curious, in the video you referred to bladder seals.
There are no bladders in that cylinder. There are seals on the OD of the piston, in the bore where the ram goes through the piston, and on the end cap, one on the the OD to seal the barrel, and on the bore where the ram exits.

/ Welding a broken yoke back onto a 3PT tilt cylinder #15  
Great. How would you fixture the cylinder in my garage with my tools? Going to hang the ground on the yoke that you’re having a hard time holding in place? Go on, tell me. LOL
Yes, I would have the ground on the yoke. Standing and working from a bench vise is easy compared to some factory maintenance weld positions where you don't get to chose your welding position. Maybe hang up-side-down from your harness while doing the same job?

Hey, I get it...you fixed something on your tractor and you are proud of it....good for you. Sorry I hurt your feelings by saying what I would do different and why.

/ Welding a broken yoke back onto a 3PT tilt cylinder #16  
Many types of welders with many ways to solve the problems we encounter. Agree with the methods some mention, or not. I for one always appreciate a different idea. Might work just right or provide me with a idea for the next time I have to solve something :)

Good job repairing the cylinder. (y)

Just curious, in the video you referred to bladder seals.
There are no bladders in that cylinder. There are seals on the OD of the piston, in the bore where the ram goes through the piston, and on the end cap, one on the the OD to seal the barrel, and on the bore where the ram exits.

I was having a brain-fade. You're right: I called the piston, a bladder. This cylinder doesn't have an accumulator. Sniffing glue, toad licking and breathing brake cleaner too much doesn't pay. LOL

Last edited:
   / Welding a broken yoke back onto a 3PT tilt cylinder #18  
Yes, I would have the ground on the yoke. Standing and working from a bench vise is easy compared to some factory maintenance weld positions where you don't get to chose your welding position. Maybe hang up-side-down from your harness while doing the same job?

Hey, I get it...you fixed something on your tractor and you are proud of it....good for you. Sorry I hurt your feelings by saying what I would do different and why.
Me too. Remember the cylinder rod passes through seals/o rings.

A little bit of abrasion on the cylinder rod is detrimental. Maybe you got lucky, but why take the chance?

/ Welding a broken yoke back onto a 3PT tilt cylinder #19  
I had a guy the other day tell me he knew all about welding cause he used one on auto body.
Cant answer a single question about it, even the most basic like what machine or size wire let alone what gas.
Another at a meeting somewhere mention he did anll this welding, I asked what electrode, he said what you mean and I said the rod. Oh,,, well he is not sure, its brown he thinks. Me and a Bud who ghappens to be a master stop by there a while back and they blaming a buzzer for not working. They figures the little circle on the selector was where you sposed to set it for 5/32. John says,,, want me to do that and the smart azz was like,,, well if you can do better,,, etc and I laugh. John turn it up to 140 and run a bead. One came to my shop later for something and look around a little, never did tell me again how much he know about it.
I get comments from time to time, sounds different, looks different than the last guy that did it which might be why we doing this again to what should have been a permanent repair.
The benefit is mostly vert for working on equipment and buildings. A DC buzzer is a professional machine. You dont have to be embarrased to have a pro bud stop by to do something. Can even bring his own rods. Ha. I do use 11 though instead of 6010 and mainly cause I have a Maxstar and to tell the truth I think they restart a little easier.