What do you do with stump once removed?

/ What do you do with stump once removed? #61  
That's what I generally do, along with fallen branches and other tree trimmings. It'll rot down eventually.

Wouldn't it be easier to chip old Christmas trees? That's what they do around here.
The Christmas trees are supposed to create structure for fish. I knew somebody once who told of doing the same with old bedsprings.
>
>
Come to think of it, he was doing that so that he could "harvest" fishing lures after people snagged the bedspring and cut/broke their line. I'm not sure if it actually worked...

/ What do you do with stump once removed? #62  
I've mentioned it before but, my brother lives on a deep lake outside of milwaukee.

Back in the day the locals would take there trash out on the lake in the winter and watch it disappear come spring.

I doubt they still do that.

Supposedly there is a train engine down there?

/ What do you do with stump once removed? #63  
Find a bigger hole to fill!

/ What do you do with stump once removed? #64  
If you have enough brush and limbs to pile on top of it you can start a fire that will keep burning till it is almost completely burned to ash. The flames will die down but the hot embers will keep heating and reignite the flames for weeks.
A few years ago I pulled several stumps while clearing some land. I pilled them up first then pilled the brush on top and left it all there for about a year. It weather packed and shrunk in height quite a bit. But still pretty big.

Caught a good rainy day and doused it with diesel and lit it up. It was raining steady nearly all day but the brush pile was so dry that it burned all day and never went out until about 10pm.

There was a small remnant of one stump about the size of a football left smoldering after it was all done. By the next morning it was completely gone. All the stumps had some dirt on on them but it didn’t keep them from burning completely up - they were so dry.

/ What do you do with stump once removed? #65  
I normally have a burn pile that gets piled up and burned time and time again. The stumps take a while, but they eventually burn.

Regarding dumping in waterways, stumps can float and are a hazard to boaters. While most hard structure submerged in saltwater forms a reef of sorts, that does not mean it belongs there. Way back before I owned my current property, a light homemade plane crashed on what is now my tideflats. The wreckage only gets exposed at low, low tide and to this day it is still there. Nothing much attaches to the aluminum. I have tried to pull it out of the sand, but it is buried too deep at this point. The axle appears to be automotive and is rusting away.

/ What do you do with stump once removed? #66  
I put them in my brush pile, which gets burned when permitted by the fire department (rainy season).
Some come out with a lot of dirt attached, which inhibits burning.
I hang it in my pallet forks and shake when dry.
Or sometimes, carry it back to the house and blast the dirt off with a pressure cleaner. That's time consuming, but very effective.
shaking the stump half burned, lifting and dropping works well, will usually dislodge the dirt to allow complete burning.
Dirt encrusted stumps that survive the fire heap are usually reduced to a size that can be buried in the fire pit.

Lifting and dropping is easily done with your FEL. Just hope your clutch doesn't fail during the job, when the front tires are in the hot coals...

/ What do you do with stump once removed? #67  
In 2009 I had a 2 acre field reclaimed; they cut and chipped the trees, then came in with an excavator and pulled the stumps. They weren’t huge stumps, the biggest was probably 10-14 inches. I ended up with 11 or 12 big piles which I intended to go through and reclaim the soil. Last year I finally bought a grapple, and this is what I found when I went into the pile. There's barely any wood left; what little remains is easily ground up when I run over it with the tiller.
I've taken about 10 yards of loam/compost out of this pile, and as much out of two more. It's great in my garden, and for lining the poultry and pig pens rather than using sawdust or shavings.

Attachments

• 40B69993-86EC-4E3B-B7E8-0B358F7AC608.jpeg
    40B69993-86EC-4E3B-B7E8-0B358F7AC608.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 102
   / What do you do with stump once removed? #68  
In 2009 I had a 2 acre field reclaimed; they cut and chipped the trees, then came in with an excavator and pulled the stumps. They weren’t huge stumps, the biggest was probably 10-14 inches. I ended up with 11 or 12 big piles which I intended to go through and reclaim the soil. Last year I finally bought a grapple, and this is what I found when I went into the pile. There's barely any wood left; what little remains is easily ground up when I run over it with the tiller.
I've taken about 10 yards of loam/compost out of this pile, and as much out of two more. It's great in my garden, and for lining the poultry and pig pens rather than using sawdust or shavings.
Pine stumps?

/ What do you do with stump once removed? #69  
cut down 3 more trees
stumps.jpeg