What is it? Help me identify a tractor...

/ What is it? Help me identify a tractor... #1  

80sDweeb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135 Vineyard Diesel
Here are pics of an old tractor for sale (that I won't be buying, but you never know...) Just wondering what it is:

What is it.jpg

What is it 2.jpg

What is it 3.jpg

It doesn't look completely unfamiliar, but it also isn't a model I readily recognize (being new to this stuff.) But I'm always ready to learn more about old tractors!

Scott in Brighton NY

/ What is it? Help me identify a tractor...
Aha! I couldn't even wait, started searching through Google. It looks like a David Brown, right? What can you tell me about what model, and approximate year? Thanks!

Scott in Brighton NY

/ What is it? Help me identify a tractor... #4  
Funny its 880 on one side and 088 on the other. :laughing:

Looks like I've found it: David Brown 950 Implematic Tractor, from 1958-1959. 4 cylinder diesel, around 40hp. My question would be, what kind of tacked on afterthought is that battery tray?

David_Brown_950_Implematic_at_Astwood_Bank_08_-_P6150272.jpg

Scott in Brighton NY

Funny its 880 on one side and 088 on the other. :laughing:

And David Brown had a model 880, but this isn't that model...

Scott in Brighton NY

And David Brown had a model 880, but this isn't that model...

Scott in Brighton NY

I think I spoke too soon, it didn't look like the 880 I saw, because that 880 was a gasser. So, perhaps it is the 880 Implematic of the early 1960s, and not the 950 Implematic of the late '50s. Still with the very outdated tacked-on battery tray, in the '60s? And styling more in line with the 1940s or 50s, at best.

Still, a classic-looking tractor. Has some sleek elements styled into the sheetmetal (hard to see in faded white.)

This is for sale near me as "parts only" for $800. Probably worth near $500 in pure weight as scrap, so pretty close to rock-bottom dollar for a diesel tractor.

Scott in Brighton NY

Scott in Brighton NY

/ What is it? Help me identify a tractor... #8  
My first instinct is it's a David Brown, but the front end doesn't look quite right with the headlights tacked onto the side rather than in the grill. The "880" font style doesn't look "factory" to me.