What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer?

/ What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #41  
I just picked up a Bobcat T870 recently, its a great machine but not mid sized in any way. Its so heavy I can't move it on my gooseneck. But I like how long its track base is compared to other models, feels well balanced compared to other machines I tried.

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 125
   / What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #42  
Bobcat 773 is so very handy. Makes a great second tractor. Recently got a SSQA receiver hitch attachment on sale at Titan. Used the SS to dig out a little parking space next to a garage that was built into a slope yrs ago. And placed the cargo trailer ( now mostly used for storage) into the new spot using the 773.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Capture 15.JPG
    Capture 15.JPG
    720.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Capture 16.JPG
    Capture 16.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 107
   / What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #44  
I spent 2 hours stuck in a skid steer cab in 40* weather with a t-shirt on.
I was clearing brush on a hillside. Fuel level was reading 1/4-1/3 tank. Apparently, the fuel system didn’t like sideways slopes and the machine starved for fuel with the brush cutter and loader arms blocking the cab door.
I tried to restart it but it wouldn’t.
Called a repairman/friend to come get me after about an hour stuck out in the middle of nowhere in the cab with the sun setting.
Then I realized there was enough battery power to turn on key, crank engine, and push pilot control down at same time to lower the loader arms and I could escape. I didn’t realize the pilots would just barely work enough to operate the hydraulics on the engine starter motor. By the time I got the arms out of the way of the door, the battery was dead.
Next day it wouldn’t run. We didn’t know why. We replaced the electric fuel pump. Still wouldn’t run. Then we added about 10 gallons of fuel and it fired right up. I think the fuel gauge was incorrectly calibrated or the fuel pickup was stuck on the high side of the tank.

I continue to rent them, but that day is stuck in my mind forever. Those cabs seem awful tiny when you can’t get out of them. 😳

Last edited:
   / What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #45  
   / What is The Best Mid-Size Skid Steer? #46  
Hmmm...I wonder if OP ever found a machine? $15k budget is tight, but you can find a decent machine for that.
I picked up a Case 75XT with 1,000hrs on it just over a year ago for under $19k...from a dealer, so private party sales could be lower.

Lots of hate for wheeled machines I'm reading. Most seem like scare tactics. Burning alive in one? Getting stuck? Flipping over? LoL Common sense can avoid all of that. I dig rocks out of the ground on a hillside at home. Zero issues with tipping.

Stump.jpg

First.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1902.jpg