What kind of hydraulic fluid?

/ What kind of hydraulic fluid? #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
I think I need to add some hydraulic fluid and need to know what is best. I have a bottle of IH and a bottle of JD hydraulic fluid, both say made especially for their brand of tractors. Is there any difference? Can I get something at tractor supply that is just as good? The manual for my 6000 says to us 30 weight fluid. Neither one of the bottles I have say anything about weight. Does this matter or do all hydraulic fluids come standard in 30 weight?

And last, since I added a backhoe, do I need to put more fluid in than normally as marked on the dip stick?

/ What kind of hydraulic fluid? #2  
Well if you know that you need to add more hydraulic fluid then you need to go by your what you manual states. There are different weight hydraulic oils so make sure you get the 30 that is required. Also if the two oils that you have aren't the same oil that's in the machine you shouldn't mix hydraulic oil because it can cause foaming etc. etc. (Not sure but have read somewhere) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go by the mark that is one the dipstick becuase that is the reservoir and you will not need to exceed that mark even if you have the backhoe or anything else on there. See how it's recommended to check your level with bakchoe on there and you will be fine. Like on the ground, bucket flat, stablizers up, blah, blah.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darin

/ What kind of hydraulic fluid? #3  
Slippy, are you sure that you are checking the correct fluid? Near as I can tell, the hydraulic fill is on top of the casing just at the right rear corner of the seat and appears to be a pipe plug. The little dipstick thing down by the PTO is for the transmission fluid level. I have not unscrewed the hyd fill plug to look, but I will. I do not know if it has a dipstick attached or not. I am assuming that my 4500 is set up the same as the 6000. I know the owners manual leaves some to be desired on several of these questions, I plan on making a trip to the dealer soon to ask all these questions and to haul my new brushhog back, it makes more noise than I am comfortable with, I think it has a gear lash problem in the gear box. As far as the implements go, you probably should have all hyd cylinders retracted when you check fluid level. Chet

/ What kind of hydraulic fluid?
I guess I will call the dealer and get the oil from him, although now that I have checked the fluid level, it seems to be full. Yes Chet, the dip stick is attached to the fill plug located under the right side of the seat and there is a stick attached to the plug. I read the manual and it does not tell how to check it, i.e. screw it back in or just stick it in without screwing it in. It is very clear fluid and it is very runny and hard to check, but it seems to be at the top of the notch cut in the dip stick. I know I have lost some fluid because when I connect and disconnect the hoses when using the backhoe, it runs out, not alot, but after doing it 3 or 4 times now, I would think it would make a difference. I think my dealer told me that with the backhoe I need to put more in. I guess I best check with him.

/ What kind of hydraulic fluid? #5  
Slippy, I stand corrected! I unscrewed the hyd fill plug and there it is, a dipstick welded to the bottom of the plug. I did not have enough light to peer into the abyss, but without screwing the plug in, the fluid level is just above the notch on mine. I have not incurrred any loss of fluid, so maybe that is an indicator of how to use it. I only have 14 hours on the tractor, 5 of which was brushogging the pasture. I doubt if overfilling it a tad would hurt anything anyway, if it got too full the excess fluid would probably go out the vent.