What to do with a Kohler M8ST on a $50 Troy-Bilt Horse

/ What to do with a Kohler M8ST on a $50 Troy-Bilt Horse #1  

enazle

Tractor
1538 Mahndra
Yesterday, I bought a Troy Bilt Horse with a 8hp Kohler electric start motor. I paid $50 for it because the wheels and shield were rusted out, the pull cord was stuck pulled out, no battery, no key, etc. etc.. So I broke it down and identified what all It needs. To total cost of parts is going to be about $200 if I have to buy the ignition module. A Harbor Freight 8hp is $250 out the door but is a pull start. What do you all think, should I repair or replace the power plant? I still have to buy wheels and a shield and who knows what else.
troy-bilt.jpg

/ What to do with a Kohler M8ST on a $50 Troy-Bilt Horse #2  
Harbor Freight might be the way to go if you're sure it will fit with no serious problems. Why put more money into an old engine unless you know it's a good engine or you're restoring it to original?

/ What to do with a Kohler M8ST on a $50 Troy-Bilt Horse #3  
That will be a $2000 machine when done. Easiest thing with the motor is to remove it and take it to a small engine repair shop and have them assess and repair it. Mine has a 7 hp Koehler and it burns no oil and starts on the second pull. The Koehler motors are far better than any of those cheap Asian motors. I restored this one last spring, took more labour than parts, as it had been stored outside for 30+ yrs by the PO. Tires were shot.

C9796E53-9CA9-45E1-8638-6ECFB8E1633B.jpeg471F1768-3B82-425D-8BCD-3A085E1B21F7.jpeg

/ What to do with a Kohler M8ST on a $50 Troy-Bilt Horse #4  
Repair the kohler!! I own a '79 horse with the 7hp engine and as stated above, starts on second pull. Bob

/ What to do with a Kohler M8ST on a $50 Troy-Bilt Horse #5  
Well,--Being that it is electric start,--I would seriously check the engine re-build idea first!--You can always do the HF engine IF need be.--I have and have had good luck with Kohlers! thanks; sonny580