When to give up on a tractor?

/ When to give up on a tractor? #1  

froggy

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4320 with TNT, electric diverter, cruise control and air suspension seat.
I have an old international harvester (no FEL or 3 pt) with belly mower that was originally used by the Texas highway depart for mowing. The Case dealer cannot tell the exact model number, but thinks it is a 2504.

I bought it from an individual for next to nothing and have made the following repairs to it: front tires, new brakes, clutch, manifold, carberator, steering wheel, gauges, battery cables, starter, added a generator and all fluids have been changed.

My problem is that the PTO went out when I was mowing with it. Have an estimate of approximately 1,200 to repair PTO. Dealer gave me this estimate over the phone as a ball park number to help me make a decision.

Should I repair the PTO and still able to mow or not repair it and take off the mower and just use it for dragging down trees, get someone to mow for me and save for a new tractor? I had always plan to replace it one of these days, has the time come? The tractor is on my property about 90 miles from here.

Would appreciate any thoughts y'all might have on the subject.

/ When to give up on a tractor? #2  
I would probably go ahead and open it up and fix it. If it was "terminal" you can always close it back up and send it home to live out it's days as a draft-only tractor. It probably still has the live hydraulics working, so that means it would still handle a loader. Is it valuable to you as a loader-only tractor? Is it in good enough shape to trade someone who would like to have a loader-only tractor?

/ When to give up on a tractor? #3  
I would be most nervous having a dealer that cannot tell what model it is. Doesn't it have a serial number?

Must have had some information (i.e. model number, serial number) to be able to get all the repair parts you have purchased for it already.

Fixed it should bring what you would have invested to repair. If not, then advertise it as a parts tractor or visit a junkyard for parts and consider it a DIY project (that is okay for some and not of interest to others). Used to be some schools had ag/shop classes that would take old tractors and fix them up for a project. Might be worth looking around, especially if it will look like a lost cause to fix it up for your use. Then deduct it from your income taxes.

/ When to give up on a tractor?
It is a good running tractor. No problem starting it, even when it has been sitting for a couple of months. One thing I forgot to mention is that it is a gasoline engine.

Don't know of many people in these parts who would be willing to invest in a loader for it.

I think the Case dealer thought I was nuts to do this much, but I really did need something for mowing.

My wife doesn't want me spend much more on it. She thinks I should save for a new one.

The dealer thinks it was made in the very early 70's and the closest he could come to it without a serial number is a utility 2504.

The serial number plate is there, you just cannot read it.

/ When to give up on a tractor? #6  
We recently acquired a nice John Deere Model A tractor, and although I knew it was of the very latest Model A issue, the serial number was not entirely readable. Sherlock Holmes with a hydroatomicspectograph would have had trouble reading this plate. My neat wife suggested that we use coca cola on the plate so I put some on it overnight. The next morning with the sun in the perfect position, I was able to read the number.

/ When to give up on a tractor? #7  
Look at the pictures over on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ytmag.com>http://www.ytmag.com</A>
There are lots of pictures posted. There is also a selection for "Identify this Tractor" and "Identify this part". I'm sure they could help you out over there.

/ When to give up on a tractor? #8  
I wouldn't put anymore money into it. I'd save for a new one. One thing to consider though is that if the dealer is charging $1200 you may be able to find a noname mechanic do it for alot less. It sure doesn't make sense to me to spend more to fix something than it is worth if you are planning to get a new one.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.