Where to get Briggs Starter

/ Where to get Briggs Starter #1  

BHarrison

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota ZD21
I have a friend with a 12.5 hp IC vertical shaft B&S engine on his mower and needs a starter. Can anyone refer me to a site that carries such?

Thanks

/ Where to get Briggs Starter #2  
Bharrison,

I don't know about a web site, but I purchased a starter for a motor just like that at my local air-cooled equipment store. Pricey at about $120. The guy told me that they were all pretty much the same so maybe you could get a used one off an old junker. I needed it right then, so I didn't have that luxury.

/ Where to get Briggs Starter #4  
I, too, had to replace a Briggs starter. A place to begin is to get the nameplate date from the engine. Then you can visit the Briggs website. You can enter the nameplate data and print out a complete parts list. You may then contact a local distributor in person or by phone and order the part. Usually takes a few days to get in.

/ Where to get Briggs Starter #5  
Ben, just curious, what do you need to replace the starter for?
A couple of common Briggs starter problems can be repaired without replacement if they are the right ones:
Squeeling? Dissasemble and lube the bearings, unless it's an older one, then you can just shoot the upper and lower bushings with some lube and solve that problem. If the starter gear or bendix is worn or wiped out you can get a kit to replace them. I have seen very few wiped out Briggs starters in comparison to the amount I've worked on. Most can be repaired with minimal cost. Then there is the possibility it's not the starter at all, but a saftey switch, solenoid or wiring problem, compression release/valve problem, pto clutch hanging up, could also be the case.

/ Where to get Briggs Starter #6  
Ben I have to agree with Kubmech. If you are afraid to do the repair yourself you could take it to your local auto electric shop that rebuilds starters and alternators. I believe they would be able to fix it.

/ Where to get Briggs Starter #7  
I ALSO NEEDED A STARTER FOR A BRIGGS ENGINE. I THOUGHT THE PRICE OF $120.00 WAS WAY TO HIGH. I TOOK MINE TO AN ELECTRIC MOTOR REPAIR SHOP AND THEY RE-BUILT IT FOR $50.00.

/ Where to get Briggs Starter
Thanks for all the responses. To be honest, I have no idea how the starter is acting. My good friend said "Hey Dude, I need a starter for my mower." So, I figured the place to pick brains was here. Let me get a better idea of what's wrong with the starter, and I'll check back on what to do then.