Why an old tractor

/ Why an old tractor #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Some people ask me"why did you get a old Ford tractor?"Well, Heres my answers.

First, I like the looks. I have been getting in to art deco lately, and the old N's have the look. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The price.

Parts availability. You can get old Ford tractor parts ANYWERE. Sunday afternoon, and you need a part for your Kub, your stuck. With the Ford, almost any autopart store can set you up. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I got nothing to judge it by. Ok, other then garden tractors, and an old Farmall C, this is the only real tractor I have used. Power steering??? Whats that? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mostly, I just like it. It's kind of cool, now I just have to wait till it gets delivered, so I can spend more time using it, then writhing about it.
/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Why an old tractor #2  
s1120,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...so I can spend more time using it, then writhing about it. )</font>

You did mean writing about it, right? I hope you're not writhing about it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As one who enjoys mechanical machines of all types, I can see your attraction to the classic tractors. They are phenomenally robust machines, and as you said, are much more adaptable to the common parts base available than the newer machines. I applaud you and others who keep these older machines in service.

Now...would I ever go that route? Maybe, someday, as a hobby I might like to try my hand at restoring one. But for the tractor I'll use I think I'll stick with the modern units. Mostly for the added safety features that are incorporated into their design.

I hope you get your "new" tractor soon. Enjoy and be safe! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~Rick

/ Why an old tractor
<font color="red">You did mean writing about it, right? I hope you're not writhing about it! </font>

DOHHH!!! Sorry, spell check got me on that. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I am happy, but not THAT happy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why an old tractor #4  
Paul, you'll be REAL happy with your 8N. It's almost the same as my Fergie. All the disadvantages people will tell you about it, just aren't true. Those who run them down, probably have never used one.

I have power steering on my Olivier. It's big, it needs it, the 8N is small enough that it doesn't need it. And the 8N will outpull any "modern" tractor that is relatively similar in size. Even if the "modern" tractor has 4wd. I've used my Fergie on all sorts of jobs, from brush hoging, to finish mowing, to spreading manure, to plowing snow and lots of other things. It's never let me down!!! It only got stuck once, when I was stupid, and pulling a two bottom plow in real wet conditions, I hit a spring I forgot about on my property, where the mud was over 2 feet deep. I think any "modern" tractor with 4 wd would have gotten stuck there, too. And I popped it out with my Oliver in less than 5 minutes. Your 8N might not be perfect, but I don't think anything is.

And the amount you saved as opposed to a "modern" tractor will let you buy many implements, and even more tractors. My wife and I have 2 vintage tractors so far, and as our farming operations expand, we will need more tractors. I can assure you, that I will never own anything but vintages tractors, and I am totally satisfied with them!!!

/ Why an old tractor #5  
Rich,
Yeah the pulling is mostly about weight and distribution on the older tractors. Also try pulling plows for a while with a 22 hp hydro 4WD and see how long it lasts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The old iron is great.
I got a non-vintage but older ( 1968) IH 444 with commercial grade loader for 4K. 45 HP/3900 LB. Works great and I can afford more toys...err tools too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif