Why do people use Photobucket

/ Why do people use Photobucket #21  
on a relative note...when posting images here (or on any forum etc. site) just think of those trying to view images on an I-phone etc...granted the new "mini-book" mobile devices most likely have image rendering software the best solution for everyone is to simply reduce the size of raw images...not only for display...the less bandwidth use the better ...

Your kidding right?

This is not about the person posting photos, nor about the user or device on the other end.

The software s***s. The toolsets s**** even more.

Your asking way to much for the casual user to be aware of the rest of the internet.

/ Why do people use Photobucket
So, you're asking everyone to keep their photos at VGA resolution (640x480)? No offense, but my 14" monitor back in 1990 could at least do SVGA (800x600). I believe either your video driver is not installed correctly, or you don't have it set up correctly if you can't at least do 800x600. -Steve

Yes, my monitor is set for 800x600. However, when you post an 800x600 photo in the column, TBN puts a 3" margin on the left side of the screen so the photo won't fit on the screen and you must scroll to see the photo and then you must scroll to read each line in the remaining posts on the page because all the posts are made to the width of the largest photo on the page.

I am not asking anyone not to post photos larger than 640x600. You are welcome to post photos as large as you want. I am just asking you not to post the large photos in the columns so that we have to scroll to read each line. You can post your large photos under "manage attachments" and just let a thumbnail show in the column and anyone who wishes to see your gigantic photo can just click on the thumbnail.

And yes, I can set my screen to 1800x1440 or higher, but this makes everything on the screen smaller and harder to see. As I am in my 60s now I find it quite difficult to read very small print on the screen and I'm sure there are many others on TBN with the same problem. Since you are under 40 you may not be aware of the visual problems that you will be facing in a few more years.

If you can't understand what I am talking about, just post a photo in the column that is much larger than your screen size and see how difficult it is for you to scroll back and forth to read each line of every post on that page.

When you just have a thumbnail on the screen, readers have the option of looking at your gigantic photo and waiting for it to download. When you put it in the column readers are forced to deal with it whether they want to or not. I just believe that it is more courteous to others to give them the option. It is NOT any harder for you to do that.

/ Why do people use Photobucket #23  
Your kidding right?
NO I'm not kidding one bit
This is not about the person posting photos, nor about the user or device on the other end.
Sure it is...
The software s***s. The toolsets s**** even more.
Your asking way to much for the casual user to be aware of the rest of the internet.
...I'm sorry if you have "s****" gear...

All the "casual user" has to do is be a little considerate and reduce the size of their images to a moderate size before uploading...if they're capable of getting the image from their camera to the server they should be capable of properly sizing the image for nominal displays...

/ Why do people use Photobucket #24  
All the "casual user" has to do is be a little considerate and reduce the size of their images to a moderate size before uploading...if they're capable of getting the image from their camera to the server they should be capable of properly sizing the image for nominal displays...

Your consideration implies that the user knows a lot of things. I doubt the average user knows how big their pictures really are on their camera, let alone know how to resize them for posting to unknown backend services. If they did know, there would be little need for all the image resizers on the market today.

I think the general attitude is, if the software lets them do it, "not my problem". And I tend to agree.

/ Why do people use Photobucket #25  
Yes, my monitor is set for 800x600. However, when you post an 800x600 photo in the column, TBN puts a 3" margin on the left side of the screen so the photo won't fit on the screen and you must scroll to see the photo

Gotcha. Even on my 22" monitor at 1600x1200 I've experienced pages that you have to scroll back and forth - what a pain.

My Dad was in the same boat with the resolution vs eyes, until I showed him how to increase the resolution and increase the default text size at the same time. So, now he's running at a higher resolution so that the web pages come in correctly (most are designed for at least 1024x768 these days) but he can still read the text. (Right-click on your desktop, select Display Properies -> Appearance. There you can change the font size). For just FireFox, <CTRL>+ to zoom in, <CTRL>- to zoom out. For just Internet Explorer, press <ALT> and the select View -> text size.

Once you've increased your text size, you can increase your resolution, and web pages will be much easier to navigate. This is probably easier than expecting everyone to do the VGA photo thing.

And, I can sympathize with the eye thing - I was legally blind up until last January. I had the laser eye surgery and now I'm seeing 20/10 (yes, better than 20/20). It is amazing to say the least.

/ Why do people use Photobucket #26  
...let alone know how to resize them for posting to unknown backend services If they did know, there would be little need for all the image resizers on the market today.
This does not make sense...it seems contradictory?
The reason there are so many (image) software applications is because there are so many developers...the exact same reason there are so many text editors...wide spectrum of users= wide selection of applications...
I think the general attitude is, if the software lets them do it, "not my problem". And I tend to agree.

What software? an end user (TBN viewer etc) is supposed to save an image to disk and resize it themself to view it?...sorry, if I open an attached image file and all I see is about 1/5 or less of the picture I just close it out and consider the OP moronic...

I do agree that a percentage of new (digital) camera users do not care enough to read the manual and learn to set the default size of their images...and end up posting very large raw files...

As for ease of use...apps like Irfanview make it simple to resize a single or a batchof images (a couple of clicks is all it takes)