Why does my IH 504 tractor won't restart until cool

/ Why does my IH 504 tractor won't restart until cool
Thanks. I checked the grounds that I could find, look good. Ran it today for 1 + hours cutting grass with no problems. It was about 10 degrees cooler today. I did replace spark plugs, cleaned the radiator, distributor cap & rotor yesterday during the rain storm. Have crankcase oil breather on order since this 2015 one looks pretty dirty inside

/ Why does my IH 504 tractor won't restart until cool #12  
These 504's do get hot fast! Rad. is about half the size needed for this motor and I found vapor lock the biggest problem. BUT your puff of white smoke would be the bigger concern! Check the compression cause it sounds like an engine rebuild is getting close!
ALSO make sure rad. fins are squeeky clean ALL of the time. You might also add an electric fan to help move air. Take all of the side tins off the hood too as they block hot air from getting out.
Mine are 504-utility models but the 2444 industrial does the same thing mowing waterways.
Something I was going to do was to take the thermostat out of mine and try that. They go to 180 fast and stay there for a long time then go on to 200 slowly and after about 195 I turn into the wind and shut down for a while and go do something else.

It stopped running again after idling for a minute or so while closing gate after running 2+ hours cutting pasture grass. No white smoke, normal battery, normal temp showing, no loose connections found this morning. Let it cool down for an hour then started right back up. I'm thinking the coil is getting hot and acting up. Mine is a 1964 utility

FYI update: replaced points and condenser. Ran good today but had cooler weather too. If it happens again I'll replace the 25+ year old coil.

/ Why does my IH 504 tractor won't restart until cool #15  
Sounds like in your case the coil just might be going out! Hey,--when it dies or you run a long time does the coil get hot? I mean HOT? usually they do that when they get bad.
Also check the timing! It needs to be spot on. Not too fast or slow as that adds to the problem. Tune it by ear and when the motor sounds like its running free, tighten the dist and try that.

Thanks, I'll check both.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2024 Kivel Bale Spear Attachment For John Deere (A32932)
2024 Kivel Bale...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
J STYLE CONCRETE FEED BUNK (A32908)
J STYLE CONCRETE...
Grain Auger (A33041)
Grain Auger (A33041)
2015 Ford F150 XL (A33526)
2015 Ford F150 XL...
2024 48in Skid Steer Forks and Frame (A32932)
2024 48in Skid...