Will a 26g fit in a 12x6 low side dump trailer?

/ Will a 26g fit in a 12x6 low side dump trailer? #1  

Acwa

Tractor
2021 JD 2025r, 26g Cab Excavator
Hi all,
I’m very close to purchasing a Deere 26g and was hoping someone had experience putting one in a 12x6 10k dump trailer and advice on loading.
Can anyone confirm if it will fit? Also blade forward or to the rear? I won’t need to have any other buckets/etc in the trailer.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ Will a 26g fit in a 12x6 low side dump trailer? #2  
I have a 26g. I normally haul it on my 24ft tilt bed. I do have a pj 6x16 low pro dump but I haven't hauled it in it yet.

I just went out to my shop and measured mine and it is only 60 inches wide. With the bucked curled up by the blade it about 11 ft to the back. It looks like to me it will fit the boom will stick out a little at the knuckle. I would drive it in so the weight is over the axles, a 12ft dump the axles are close to the back I believe.

The other thing is I would make sure your dump trailer has rear support legs,that drop down to take the weight. Don't want your truck taking off down the road.

/ Will a 26g fit in a 12x6 low side dump trailer?
thanks much for measuring, that was awesome of you! When you say rear supports you mean to support while loading? I watched a video of a guy who uses blocks to dump the trailer just high enough so the ramps are inline with the bed, I’m assuming what you are referring to is the same concept?

As far as weight distribution it seems like front in first with blade backwards might work best? Is there a chart anywhere of the 26g center point?

I’d love to get a 14ft one but that puts me at a 14k trailer (yeah I know I need a bigger truck)

/ Will a 26g fit in a 12x6 low side dump trailer? #4  
I load a tb216 into the same size dump trailer sometimes and its a tight fit. Maybe if you put the bucket on the top edge or out on the a frame for the hitch or slew the machine to the side and angle boom in other direction.

I load without using the ramps just lift the machine with bucket and blade and drive it on.

/ Will a 26g fit in a 12x6 low side dump trailer? #5  
Yes I attached a picture below of the legs my dump trailer has. Stops the back of the trailer from dropping and pulling the back of truck off the ground

The other picture is a of a 14 foot trailer (not mine) with a 12 foot you will be even closer to the front. It may put to much tongue weight your truck. You want to balance your loads so most of the weight is carried by the trailer axles or enough tongue weight to keep,it from bouncing on the ball.

I grew up with heavy equipment and have loaded and tied down more equipment than I can count. For me it is a visual thing I just load it up and see how the truck and trailer is sitting and how it feels,going down the road. You shouldn't see alot of bend between your truck and trailer. If it bending pushing the back of truck down making it squat you have to much tongue weight. You will lose steering with the truck and it will push you. If you see it dropping you truck a couple inches your are pry good, if it doesn't drop it at all or lifts it you pry won't have enough. The it will bounce on the tongue and be dangerous as well.

I am trying to say there is no hard fast rule on how you should load it. Drive it up there the way you feel comfortable then step back and check everything and see how it looks. You may have to adjust it a couple times or even turn it around and try again. After the first time you will know for the second and it will way quicker. To many variables to say. I have a 26g as you, but my 14k 16 foot trailer with my 2021 3500 gmc are all different and will react differently to the load.

Hope this help a little, trust you yourself. If it doesn't feel right loading or pulling stop and fix it until if feel comfortable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115_155406_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_155406_Chrome.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20230115_155849_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_155849_Google.jpg
    827.8 KB · Views: 88
Good advice, I’ve got a lot of experience with boats but they move around a lot less! I’m considering using a shipper instead, I don’t love the idea of rushing into a trailer I might regret since I won’t use it again for a year when my projects move to our other place. This has been super helpful. If I do move it myself I will take some photos and post the most balanced position.

/ Will a 26g fit in a 12x6 low side dump trailer? #7  
I load a tb216 into the same size dump trailer sometimes and its a tight fit. Maybe if you put the bucket on the top edge or out on the a frame for the hitch or slew the machine to the side and angle boom in other direction.

I load without using the ramps just lift the machine with bucket and blade and drive it on.

We had a company do this on a commercial site and the excvator bucket slipped and on track came off and the excvator flipped on its side. The operator got a concussion and broke his arm. Then osha came in because someone got hurt, I think it was a around a $15000 fine for unsafe practice. I was the company first ever problem and the guy running the excvator had been a operator for over 20 years. He said he pry loaded it a couple times a day on average.

I know it may never happen or if you are a private owner there is no threat of osha. I just think for the time it takes to pull the ramps out its not a big deal to me. I am not saying you can't slide off the ramps either lol. I own a company so I use everything and all the safety parts and I beat it into my guys heads all the time. I seen to many people hurt over something simple that could have been avoided if they would have taken the proper steps.

The other way I look at it if I had the ramps out and dump the machine osha can't fine me. Scratch that I am sure they would come up with something 😆 Didn't tie my boots or my tracks were dirty

Thanks for the advice everyone, 26g arrived safely yesterday and I’m glad I didn’t try and figure out trailering in this tight time frame.