Windows Critical Update

/ Windows Critical Update #12  
My old WIN 7 PC won't even update to service pack 1. I finally gave up trying.

I'm gonna jinx myself here but it's been so long since my machine got a virus I can't remember what I had to do to fix it. It's only happened a couple of times in my life dating back to DOS days. Never lost all my stuff when it did. I have NEVER run any third party virus protection software.

<tin foil hat> I always figured it was the virus protection software people that were creating the viruses to begin with </tin foil hat>

/ Windows Critical Update #13  
The main, and I mean main reason apples don’t get hacked is cause they probibly account for only 10% of computers. Lets face it, I hate windows, but they have the lions share of the industry. So if you want to infect lots of computers, go after the largest pot.

i run my desktop windows thru a sandbox, and have never, never had an issue that compromised my unit. And I NEVER have updated my windows 7. I tried 3 different win10 machines, and all we slower and all gave me a blue screen of death cause they forced updates. I sent all 3 back.
Though I'd expect who's using what also plays a part in that as well and given how many US government agencies and defense corporations are moving toward (or already have) a mix of Windows, Apple, Android devices......

May just be me, but I have a hard time seeing how/why cyber criminals (or foreign governments) would waste time targeting private individuals when there are much more profitable (or even just more gullible) entities to target.

The effort to reward ratio of intentionally going after specific individuals really wouldn't seem to make sense beyond someone out for revenge.

Personally as little of value as I generally keep on my internet-connected computers it'd seem a waste to even bother targeting them.....

/ Windows Critical Update #15  
There are choices beyond windows and apple. Anybody else running Linux?

/ Windows Critical Update #16  
I have two linux boxes, PCs and at work sometimes Macs.
I am on both the windows and MAc security email lists.
Since most money runs through PCs, that is where the focus goes.
Plenty of zero day issues on Macs, but since they don;t allow much in the way of third party devices, less driver issues, but all less choice and more $
I use the linux boxes for utility (NAS and vortex) they are a pain for initial setup, but not too bad after that.
Have had to do a few emergency updates, but not anywhere near the number for the other OSs.

/ Windows Critical Update
There are choices beyond windows and apple. Anybody else running Linux?
Unless you understand program coding I would advise staying away from Linux.

If you want to jump in the Linux pond here are the top named versions.

Best Linux Distros for Beginners
  1. Ubuntu. Easy to use. ...
  2. Linux Mint. Familiar user interface with Windows. ...
  3. Zorin OS. Windows-like user interface. ...
  4. Elementary OS. macOS inspired user interface. ...
  5. Linux Lite. Windows-like user interface. ...
  6. Manjaro Linux. Not an Ubuntu-based distribution. ...
  7. Pop!_ OS. ...
  8. Peppermint OS. Lightweight Linux distribution.

/ Windows Critical Update #18  
<tin foil hat> I always figured it was the virus protection software people that were creating the viruses to begin with </tin foil hat>
I've often wondered the same thing. Job security.
Unless you understand program coding I would advise staying away from Linux.
Or have the neighborhood geek on speed dial. :LOL:

Actually, as kenmbz noted, once it's set up it's OK once you get used to it and are willing to accept that some software isn't available for it and that changing settings, installing new programs, etc. is going to be a PITA.
I'm actually a bit surprised more enterprise software isn't linux-based (ie-bank teller terminals, automation controllers or other specialty applications). More secure and way less likely employees will download/install stuff they shouldn't.

/ Windows Critical Update
I've often wondered the same thing. Job security.

Or have the neighborhood geek on speed dial. :LOL:

Actually, as kenmbz noted, once it's set up it's OK once you get used to it and are willing to accept that some software isn't available for it and that changing settings, installing new programs, etc. is going to be a PITA.
I'm actually a bit surprised more enterprise software isn't linux-based (ie-bank teller terminals, automation controllers or other specialty applications). More secure and way less likely employees will download/install stuff they shouldn't.

Banks and other Financial Institutions do not use Open Source Software because of security issues.

"Proprietary software (Windows) is more secure than open-source software. (Linux) ... But a commercial license doesn't assure security. Unlike proprietary software, open-source software is transparent about potential vulnerabilities."

/ Windows Critical Update #20  
> Banks and other Financial Institutions do not use
> Open Source Software because of security issues.

Rubbish. They all use open source software at various levels in their organisation. e.g. OpenUK's latest report paints a rosy picture of open source adoption
It will be used in their back end servers, software stacks, databases, web servers and lots more.

You only have to look at the certs that come out on the vulnerabilities and look at the time-to-patch to see what OS's get an A and those that get a D- :)
And it hasn't changed for decades.

Mike