Woods SGT60 Rototiller Repair Project

/ Woods SGT60 Rototiller Repair Project
No Joy. Tried my puller and could not get the pulley to budge. The puller started to bend. I don't mind breaking the puller but I do not want to break anything else.
I used a punch to strike the keys. I have tried this before to see if they would loosen a bit, but as before I just end up with a bent punch.
Woods Corporate HQ is local. One of the guys is going to contact someone he knows there. We will see if their engineering department has any information regarding this.
Maybe the gear was heat-shrunk on when assembled. I'll post a followup.

Attachments

• Puller attached.jpg
    Puller attached.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • Bent Puller.jpg
    Bent Puller.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
   / Woods SGT60 Rototiller Repair Project #12  
Is there clearance behind the gear to drive it in to try and break it loose?

/ Woods SGT60 Rototiller Repair Project #13  
Just guessing on that one, but it most likely has a shoulder behind the gears. Without that, then a bolt/washer setup would never stay tight.

Like Harry, I do not believe that there is any clearance. I can't visually see behind the gear. In the parts diagram, with #46 being the key, there is a dark line on the shaft. I believe this represents a shoulder. That shoulder holds the gear in place on one end.
I have tapped the gear with a hammer in an attempt to break it loose. Used both a steel hammer and a composite one. I certainly don't want to break the gear, so my swings were limited.

/ Woods SGT60 Rototiller Repair Project #15  
Wondering if you arrived at a solution for the gear removal?

Update: We never heard back from Woods.
I modified the puller shown in post 11 for use on the top gear. Drilled the properly spaced holes and welded another brace. I was able to remove the top gear with that. The keys are fairly gouged from the torque of the driveshaft.
I made another home made puller out of 3 x 3 square tubing. I placed bolts with nuts attached on the inside to help prevent collapse of the tubing. I still could not get the gear off. The tubing would indent around my drive bolt.
I borrowed a heavy duty puller from a neighbor last week, and a heavier duty impact wrench. I could not get the lower gear off. However another guy did get it off over the weekend. I have not had a chance to discuss how he did it. The keys were very gouged from the torque and from when the tines hit a rock. My thought is that the keys bound up the gear and the shaft so much it needed a lot more pressure than I was able to use.
With the gears off, I was able to remove the housing and am now working to remove the bearing on the lower shaft.

Attachments

• Top Gear off.jpg
    Top Gear off.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • Top Gear Spindle.jpg
    Top Gear Spindle.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Bottom Gear off.jpg
    Bottom Gear off.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 31