X300 steering sector question

/ X300 steering sector question #1  

stackhsc

Tractor
x300
I’ve got a John Deere x300. Replaced the steering sector. Bushings seem snug on the new install but there seems to be more slop in the gear where it engages the sector than I expected.

with the tractor parked how much should the steering shaft feet be able to turn back and forth before coming up tight on the sector gear?
Thanks.

/ X300 steering sector question #2  
You should be able to change the amount of thrust washers for a tighter gear mesh if you'd like.

/ X300 steering sector question
By putting them on the sector shaft? The steering shaft is up pretty tight.

/ X300 steering sector question #4  
I work on a lot of these series tractors, but have only done 2 sectors on them. It's a great design, especially compared to the light Deere chassis. I will replace the bearings when I do them. You have the idea though. Drawing the sector gear downward a tad will make a tighter fit.

/ X300 steering sector question #5  
I have an X300 that I replaced the bushings and the steering sector. I assume what is referred to as the steering sector is the larger half moon shaped bottom part that has the teeth on it, correct ? I didn’t replace the steering shaft which has the teeth at the bottom that engages the sector and noticed those teeth are hardened steel and were not worn. I did notice the teeth on the sector were very worn and along with the worn bushings which caused very sloppy steering. It does great now. I had to jack the front of the mower real high in order to get the steering shaft out to replace the bushings. I kept the old sector plate and will TIG weld the teeth and file it into shape to use again down the road.

I was the same. The small gear on the steering shaft was ok, the sector wasn’t. The old sector I had a friend weld teeth in a year or so ago. I’m not sure if the amount of play between the steering shaft gear and sector is standard ( though it should be as the bushing etc are all good). I’m thinking maybe the added weight and pressure from the snow blower attachment etc may cause extra pressure on the sector gear teeth causing premature wear??? I don’t know.
either way I took it all back apart, added a thick washer on the under side on the lower side of the sectors lower bushing. This forces the sector down (I used a washer about 1/8 inch I’d guess). In doing this there is virtually no slop/play between the steering shaft gear and the sector gear. I’m optimistic this tighter mesh between the gears allows a substantially increase surface area to engage between the two gears and will hopefully give a longer and more reliable service life.

/ X300 steering sector question #7  
Good idea to add the washer, I should have tried that. I bought my mower new in 2010 and the original sector gear and bushings lasted 8 years. If the replacements I will installed last another 8 years I probably won’t remember to add the washer, lol. I think that when the steering shaft bushings become worn that’s when the damage to the sector begins.

Good idea to add the washer, I should have tried that. I bought my mower new in 2010 and the original sector gear and bushings lasted 8 years. If the replacements I will installed last another 8 years I probably won’t remember to add the washer, lol. I think that when the steering shaft bushings become worn that’s when the damage to the sector begins.
I’d agree but my bushings are tight, took them to the dealer to verify. I’d like to know what the standard amount of play/spacing between the gear and the sector is to see if somehow the mount is damaged on mine. I gave it a good looking over and couldn’t find anything obvious on it.

/ X300 steering sector question #9  
My steering shaft bushings were badly worn which I thought caused the sector teeth to get very worn. I have to remove my deck to replace a sheave and I will check the play between the sector and steering shaft gear and see if I need to add a washer like you did that will help prevent wear in the future. As far as what the amount of play should be, I don’t know. I don’t think that it is something that JD designed to be very exact.