x734 vs x739: fuel usage?

/ x734 vs x739: fuel usage? #1  

MCHam

Tractor
John Deere X739, Kubota RTV-X1100C
Hi - been all over the map with regard to my next mower. Finally decided on a John Deere AWS model - we have a fair number of trees etc to mow around and my hills aren't ideal for a zero-turn.

Now availability comes into the picture: X734 isn't in stock at my dealer, but they have a very low hour demo x739 available now. I don't need AWD, because I am able to do my hills just fine with my X720.

One specific question: how much more "thirsty" is the X739 vs X734?

/ x734 vs x739: fuel usage? #2  
They have the same engine etc except for the x739 is AWD and has HDAP tires. I have a x744 AWS and my dad has the x749 AWS and AWD and HDAP tires. He uses his to plow snow and he mows steeper terrain. The AWD is hardly noticeable and I don't think it would use much more fuel if any. The AWD and HDAP tires do make it a mountain goat.

/ x734 vs x739: fuel usage? #3  
It's pretty unlikely to be much different in fuel usage for the AWD model. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone reference that. Typical reported fuel use of a x738 is around 1.2 to 1.3 gal/hr. If fuel use (i.e. range on a tank before filling) is important to your mowing situation you might want to check out the diesel. I get 0.8 to 0.9 gal/hr with my x758. Obviously the diesel comes at a higher initial cost but it was key in me being able to mow my 7 acres (in 4.5 hours) without having to fill the tank within a single mowing session.

You'll love the AWD. It is totally transparent and non-impactful to use. It just plain works the way it should. And it is very effective when you need it. You're in WI, so if you're going to blow snow or plow with your tractor this will be a huge help. You won't need tire chains with the AWD models in almost all conditions short of very steep driveways.

Also, are you sure you're dead set on a 4WS model? They come with their own potential issues with more moving parts and some compatibility challenges. And the non-4WS models still turn quite sharply. Maybe check out an x738 or x758.

Rob

/ x734 vs x739: fuel usage?
Hi & thank you for the replies. I did place the order for the X739 demo, now waiting for a 60" deck that is on order. We wanted the 4WS to decrease time mowing around a bunch of trees. I won't be using the new mower for snow - my Kubota RTV X1100C with the Kubota 66' snowblower will do that work. One dealer I talked to did caution about 4WS reliability but another stated that they have seen no problems in the 20-ish years Deere has been doing it. Looking forward to putting the x739 to use in a couple of weeks!

/ x734 vs x739: fuel usage? #5  
If you're only using it as a mower have you considered a zero turn? You'll get a lot more 'bang for your buck' in terms of mowing time savings with a zero turn than you will AWS over a standard GT. I know you said you placed an order, but maybe it's not too late to revise.

Rob

/ x734 vs x739: fuel usage? #6  
My wife LOVES the X744 AWS mower and is happy mowing the 2 acre "yard". This saves a tremendous amount of time because I can be doing other work or mow the field. I don't think she would be happy with a ZTR and she has test drove them. She also likes the steering knob as it makes it a one handed job.

If you're only using it as a mower have you considered a zero turn? You'll get a lot more 'bang for your buck' in terms of mowing time savings with a zero turn than you will AWS over a standard GT. I know you said you placed an order, but maybe it's not too late to revise.

Rob
Hi and thank you for the suggestion. We strongly considered zero turns but finally ruled them out due to a couple of 18degree hills: the manuals for the zero turns were looking at said max 15degree.

/ x734 vs x739: fuel usage? #8  
Yeah, hills are a problem for zero-turn mowers. The x7-series will do wonderfully on hills, especially AWD.

Rob

We got the X739 with 60" high capacity deck on Friday. Used it once and really impressed so far. The 4WS is very responsive and effective. Definitely a good option for those with lots of things to mow around + hills.